The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Why is batch sparging better/faster ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2007, 07:14 PM   #141
Blktre
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennys Fine Consumptibles
Sorry, but calling the Baron inexperienced is .. well...funny.

Not mocking your setup at all.

... inexperienced?? Still ROFLAO..

Needed a good chuckle in the morning. (Especially since our "Warm Weather" forecast has turned into 3 inches of snow asnd it's to cold to brew with the garage door open)
Laughing at the new guy on the block was to be expected. But youve never seen or brewed on my setup(s) so so im sure you cant mock it. Ive wasted many hours on other forums on this subject, so i had to throw in some jabs here too. But for real, ive got other things to worry about, like getting our 2.2 barrel brewery up and running by the time the Roselare strain is released again. Brewing twice for a oak barrel sux.

I actually cant believe you didnt man up and roll out regardles if it was snowing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #142
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm still a major n00b compared to most of your AG guys, but I just read this entire thread, and despite a few hiccups here and there, I'd say overall it's a very good, informative, and calmly discussed thread. A few people have gotten attitudes, but I've learned a ton in the last half hour or so it took me to read everything. Thanks for a good debate. I feel like I've kinda got a clue about AG brewing now.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 03-03-2007, 07:40 PM   #143
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
If this doesn't end this damn thread, then it's absolutely freakin' hopeless.
Why is this a damn thread and why do we want it to end ? Its a discussion of the merits and downfalls of various sparging methods ! Is there a problem with that ? If you don't like that subject or the thread content, then don't participate !

I've learned stuff form both sides on this topic and I started brewing in 1997 !

I really think people need to learn to open their minds a bit. When I brewed my first beer, there wasn't even such a thing as batch sparging. Everyone back then thought fly sparging was THE ONLY way to sparge. Who knows, if we opened our eyes and minds a bit we might learn something and develop something new again !

Nobody is attacking anyone's merit as a brewer. We are discussing sparging methods ! Check you ego at the start of the thread.

Sheesh !

Getting back into brewing...

Old 03-03-2007, 09:18 PM   #144
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
I gave up on this thread but It's got me shaking my head.
At this point I'm right there with you.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:16 AM   #145
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I guess you two know everything there is about sparging by both methods and instead of questioning anything, we should just bow to your word.

Yeah right.

Critical thinking and experimentation anyone ?

Getting back into brewing...

Old 03-04-2007, 01:52 AM   #146
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

help-me-obi-wan-kenobi.jpg  
Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Old 03-04-2007, 02:43 AM   #147
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
I switched to batch sparging for the simplicity and time savings which I've seen firsthand. My efficiency is basically unchanged other than slightly lower on grists with lots of wheat, which I can live with.
Works for me! My little 5.5 gallons system works best with batch sparging. I may try fly, but I'm hitting 80% so I don't see a reason to change at this time.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 03-04-2007, 03:33 AM   #148
Don

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I batch for me, not that it's the best for you or anyone else,, But for me, it's simple and time savings on brew day.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Life is to short too brew cheep beer!

Old 03-04-2007, 08:50 AM   #149
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktre
Laughing at the new guy on the block was to be expected. But youve never seen or brewed on my setup(s) so so im sure you cant mock it. Ive wasted many hours on other forums on this subject, so i had to throw in some jabs here too. But for real, ive got other things to worry about, like getting our 2.2 barrel brewery up and running by the time the Roselare strain is released again. Brewing twice for a oak barrel sux.

I actually cant believe you didnt man up and roll out regardles if it was snowing

Like I was saying. I wasn;t mocking you or yoru setup. Just saying calling Baron inexperienced was not accurate.

And yeah. it's windy and snowy and the damn mash gets cold and the boil takes longer so... I wait another day or so. I for one prefer fly sparging with my 3tier rig.

2.2 bbl? very nice. any pics? we're brewing junkies on here. love to see the set up.

The brewery I used to work for did a batch sparge of a very heavy beer. They did so to see if they could get more efficency ouy of remixing the grains and another sparge. The mash was very thick. Not sure if they got the effiency they wanted though since the next batch of that beer was done on the fly. Mainly they thought that breaking up the grain bed would reduce the possibility of a stuck mash. They could have paused the sparge mid way then recirculated/settled then continued sparging, but they thought the batch sparge method might be quicker.

Over all though they don't usually attempt a batch sparge as they are known to be less efficient.

And I've been away from this forum for 3 months and it's gotten this heated? (lol..not that it's really _that_ heated)

RDWHAHB everybody. Or if you are out at least grab a nice micro.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 03-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #150
Blktre
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennys Fine Consumptibles
2.2 bbl? very nice. any pics? we're brewing junkies on here. love to see the set up.
I dont have any updated pics, but here is some equipment when we dragged them in. They currently are setup in my shop, cleaned, and ready for TC SS plumbing and some electronics....were gonna fly sparge this with a contiunes bottom fired mash using whirlcool chilling...

2 100gallon SS tanks
2 2.2 barrel double glycol jacketed fermentors
1 80g SS tank
1 250g dairy cooler for MT

Last edited by Blktre; 03-04-2007 at 04:51 PM.

Quick Reply