Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Why is batch sparging better/faster ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2007, 01:45 AM   #1
brewman !
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Why is batch sparging better/faster ?

I'm a fly sparger. I don't understand a number of things about batch sparging. I hear frequent claims that its faster and easier, but I don't understand why. Could someone explain this to me.

Thanks.

Getting back into brewing...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2007, 01:50 AM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Well, it's faster, uh, because it is; you only need to add water, stir, wait a few minutes and drain. No 60- or 90-minute sparges, it's done in 20-30 minutes.

It's easiert because:

1. You don't need to futz with a sparge arm
2. You don't need to worry about PH
3. You don't need to worry about the gravity of your runnings
4. You don't need to worry about channeling
5. You don't need to worry about the shape of your mash tun
6. Uh, there have to be more....

Read this on batch sparging - a great resource: http://www.hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, it's way easier and quicker. For the potential extra few points of efficiency gained by fly-sparging, the extra hassle isn't worth it. Throw in an extra half-pound of base malt if you're that worried. I usually hit high 70s with batch sparging anyway.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:05 AM   #4
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Batch Sparging Rocks in my book. I hit over 80% efficiency in my last two batches. It'll take a batch or three as you perfect your technique, but I see no reason to go to fly sparging.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:05 AM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

You can eliminate the mash out.
No channeling.
No monitoring.
No stuck mashes.
Better efficiency, because you re-mix the grain and water.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-28-2007, 02:11 AM   #6
Bugeaterbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Some people claim that fly sparging will give you better efficiency. Theoretically, that is true. In reality, it all depends on your system. Fly works better for some folks, batch works better for me. I batch sparge and get efficiency in the 75-80% range consistently. I have gotten as high as 86%.

Why is batch sparging better? Fly sparging is much easier to screw up by us folks that aren't completely anal retentive about their brewing process. Batch spargers don't have to babysit their system during the sparge. We go watch the game, have a beer, and bs with other folks during the mash. If we forget about it for an extra half hour, no big deal.

I am quite relaxed about my brewing. I pay close attention to those things that require close attention and work on developing my process so I don't have to pay real close attention to a lot of things that many folks obsess over. In spite of my laid back approach, I brew good beer and have awards from comps to attest to that.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Old 02-28-2007, 02:11 AM   #7
voodoochild7
Recipes 

You have all convinced me I hate the time it takes me to fly sparge I want to try batch sparging I read the article it still seems complicated trying to figure out how much water to use. Is there a simple calculater to use? can somone post a step by step example or something?

Chuck

Primary 1: Imperial Stout
Primary 2: Golden Ale
Keg 1: Nothing
Keg 2: Nothing

Old 02-28-2007, 02:52 AM   #8
Gabe
It's a sickness!

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sure:

Say you are using about 15 # of grain and your doing a 5.5 gal batch. You would need roughly 4.5 gal of mash water to dough in and when your ready to sparge you would need roughly 5.5 gal. This will give you about 7-7.5 gal in your kettle. The reason for so much ! Well you will loose some in your mash do to grain absorbtion, whole hops will eat a little and your boil ,as you know, will evap about 15% and hour . Depending on how thurough you are at transfering you will loose a little there to. Download Promash and check it out. It will give you pre boil water amounts and all sorts of cool info.
Cheers and happy batch sparging.

Last edited by Gabe; 02-28-2007 at 02:56 AM.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:54 AM   #9
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
I tend to enjoy processes for their own sakes. I like the process of batch sparging. I expect to like the process of fly sparging too. And since I don't watch TV, I much prefer to sit outside by my brewing rig and smoke a cigar or a pipe and drink a home brew or five, maybe read a little, and monitor the process. I find it relaxing.
Ah man, that sounds good to me! I am guessing you don't have kids at home, eh?

Old 02-28-2007, 03:03 AM   #10
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts

I had always fly sparged, but recently I switched to batch sparging after reading some posts on here. I don't think I'll ever fly sparge again. I actually get BETTER effeciency batch sparging, and I've always used a round lauter tun with a false bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild7
You have all convinced me I hate the time it takes me to fly sparge I want to try batch sparging I read the article it still seems complicated trying to figure out how much water to use. Is there a simple calculater to use? can somone post a step by step example or something?
It's really simple. You're already used to calculating the total amount of water needed. Suppose you're mashing 10 lbs of grain and you mash in with 2.5 gal of strike water. Your grain will absorb 4-5 qts. If you want 7 gal in the kettle, the amount of sparge water = 7 - residual in MLT = 7 - (2.5-1.25) = 5.75 gal. You want the two runoffs to be equal (3.5 gal). So you add 2.25 to the MLT, stir, rest, vourlauf, drain 3.5 gal, and repeat with the remaining 3.5 gal.

It may seem like too much math at first, but you get used to it quickly.

Quick Reply