*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Who has experience with coffee and chocolate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #21
crbice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
Holy carp, some of you use a lot of coffee! I think I added 1 oz of coarsely ground Caribou beans in my hop mesh bag. Added to secondary for 24 hrs and I could taste it even in a 1.102 OG RIS. Could have gone 2 oz perhaps, but I wanted it in the background.

As far as chocolate goes, many routes to take. You can get chocolate notes from straight up chocolate malt. As little as 6oz, as much as 16 oz (adds a lot of roast at 16 oz also).

Option 2, is unsweetened cocoa powder. I added 6 oz of powder at flameout. Gave a lot of nice chocoloate flavor, but it aged in the keg 3 months before I tapped it. It was pretty bitter and astringent before then.

Nibs soaked in vodka for a couple of weeks (all added into secondary) will be my next try in a chocolate porter. Probably start with 4 oz of nibs and see how that works.

I have heard of people soaking boos into their wood chips and adding it to the secondary. Would the alcohol threaten the yeast activity at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #22
crbice
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosshatch View Post
I made a coffee pumpkin stout a few years back. I used coffee beans in secondary. I racked the beer right on top of the beans. I think I used 1lb and left it on there for 7 days. The coffee flavor was there, but probably could have used more.

I just brewed a chocolate stout recently and put six ounces of unsweetened bakers chocolate in for the last 10 minutes of the boil. That's still in primary though, so I'm not sure how that will turn out.
I'm very interested in how your chocolate stout turned out keep me posted.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #23
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbice View Post
I have heard of people soaking boos into their wood chips and adding it to the secondary. Would the alcohol threaten the yeast activity at all?
Depends I guess. If you have a 12% beer that sits in secondary for months, then the added alcohol isn't going to help out the already stressed yeast from firing up again in the bottle.

If you have a < 8% brew that doesn't sit around for months in secondary, then a moderate amount of hard liquor ( < 6 oz) should not affect the yeast much.

You can always add 1/4 packet of yeast to a bottling bucket if you are unsure of yeast viability. Cheap insurance. I have done this twice.
Primary #1: Empty #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Old 04-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #24
Crosshatch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbice View Post
I'm very interested in how your chocolate stout turned out keep me posted.

Will do! I am transferring to secondary tonight and adding raspberry puree and then bottling in another 10 days or so. I'll probably give it a month in the bottle to condition and then crack one and see how things are coming together.

On Tap:
Racing Bear IPA
Bottle/Keg Conditioning: More Wit Than Wisdom (Lavender Peach Wit)
Primary: Red Badge Rye
Secondary: Rue Murder Stout (Chocolate Raspberry Stout).

Quick Reply