The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Whisky Barrel Stout Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yup, soak those chips in bourbon for several days to a week prior to adding them to secondary. Soak a couple vanilla beans (split) as previously mentinoned. Add those along with a small portion of the bourbon to your secondary as well.

If by some chance you feel it is a bit woody or strong after your secondary just get it off the chips and either bulk age or bottle/keg and age the beer a little longer. The harsh edges of the bourbon and the wood will soften and fade with time if you overshoot.

Will ride for beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
julioardz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the links and suggestions. We'll see how this turns out in a few months.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #13
jonwest
Recipes 

So, I think I'm ready to bottle this beauty, but I have a few more questions first.

My OG was 1.070 on 3/3/13, on 3/25/13 SG was 1.020, and I racked to secondary. Soaked 2.5 oz Whiskey Barrel Chips (from kit) and 2 vanilla beans (split) in 8oz Makers Mark for a few days. Added all of this to secondary and forgot about it for several weeks. Checked it the other day 5/8/13 SG was 1.020. Tasted fantastic!

My questions:

If I added 8 oz of Makers Mark to secondary I would expect the SG to decrease, resulting in a higher ABV, right? Or, am I thinking all wrong? Is 8 oz not enough to have an impact? Also, I broke my hydrometer between the 3/25 reading and the 5/8 reading so it may be a difference in equipment.

Second question. Would there be any value in aging this any longer. I was thinking about racking one gallon into a one gallon carboy, and bottling the rest. I have read that the vanilla flavor will fade but the oak and whiskey flavors will increase. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jon

Old 05-10-2013, 01:53 AM   #14
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Actually the oak and bourbon flavors will fade as well over time once you remove the chips from the beer. Well fade may not be the correct word, the flavors will mellow and meld with other flavors within the beer. It could certainly benefit from some aging if it has been handled well. If you introduce oxygen during transfers or otherwise than extended aging could lead oxidized off flavors.

Will ride for beer!

Old 05-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #15
WarrantedFED
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNJasonF
Actually the oak and bourbon flavors will fade as well over time once you remove the chips from the beer. Well fade may not be the correct word, the flavors will mellow and meld with other flavors within the beer. It could certainly benefit from some aging if it has been handled well. If you introduce oxygen during transfers or otherwise than extended aging could lead oxidized off flavors.
I think that my batches may have been exposed to oxygen despite my best efforts. I was racking into a tertiary and had dry hopped in the secondary, and some hops got stuck on the intake of the racking cane causing the suction to pull from inside the cane. I slowed the flow by pinching the tube but there was still some exposure. Not sure how this will play out over time as I had intended to age this one.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
julioardz
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 42 Posts

I bottled my whiskey barrel oak doppelbock 2 weeks ago and it's already coming together nicely. I'm going to give it another week and try another bottle. The flavor is already pretty close to where I want it. I just need to let it finish carbonating.

This is a 5.5 gallon batch. It went from OG 1.087 to FG 1.018 in 7 days at 50-52F with 3 packs of rehydrate W-34/70. I "lagered" it for a 2 weeks at 32F. I soaked 2.5 oz of whiskey barrel oak chips in about 8oz bourbon for few days then dumped everything, bourbon and all, into the beer for 5 days. The chips were in a hop/muslin bag so I pulled them out, added gelatin to settle everything out and then bottled it. It went from boil to bottle in about 4 weeks and like I said, it's been in the bottle for 2 weeks now.

It's a doppelbock, so it has a rich malt flavor. I find my malty beers like stouts and brown ales take longer to condition than my IPA's, IIPA's, Belgians, or light beers. This one seems to be following the same timeline as my other malty beers. The doppelbock will last me a while, so I'll see how it ages, but I don't feel it's going to need extended aging to be ready.

Quick Reply