Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Whisky Barrel Stout Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 03:16 AM   #1
jonwest
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Whisky Barrel Stout Question

I have a Brewers Best Whisky Barrel Stout kit that I will be brewing soon. It came with whisky barrel oak chips and the instructions say to add them to the secondary.

I was thinking about soaking the chips in some Bourbon to give it more flavor. Is this a good idea or not. I have never brewed this kit before so I don't know what to expect. I'm sure it will be good without doing anything extra to it, but I can't help but want to tinker with it.

Also, the directions say to add the chips to the secondary, but you can add them to the primary if you want. Is there any flavor advantage to doing one over the other. I don't mind doing a secondary. I just want to do what is best for the final product.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts

Yea, go for the Bourbon. When I did mine I used a bottle of Rum my buddy got me from Nicargua. It was quite a change in the product at the end. I would stick to the secondary additions. Do you have a recipe? If it calls for a lengthy secondary, then I would just stick the oak in there and be done.

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Brewrifle
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've done the chips and added beer to a full on 5 gallon whisky barrel. I prefer secondary aging for 1-2 weeks. When doing the chips soak them in a whisky of your choice ahead of time (1week or more) and then put it all in the secondary.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I agree on the aging for 2 weeks in secondary. I did a foreign extra stout with some Maker's Mark barrel staves. I broke them into pieces and then soaked them in a few ounces of bourbon for about 3 hours before racking onto them in the secondary. It turned out sublime.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

When I made my bourbon barrel stout I soaked my oak chips in bourbon for a week and then added the chips and 1/2 cup of bourbon to secondary and aged another 21 days in secondary. It takes some time for the oak flavor to impart to the beer...7 days is really not adequate.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 02-21-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
jonwest
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice. The instructions do call for a long secondary, 3-4 weeks. I like the idea of soaking the chips in bourbon and adding them and some of the bourbon to the secondary.

I'm really looking forward to drinking this one.

Cheers

Old 02-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwest View Post
Thanks for the advice. The instructions do call for a long secondary, 3-4 weeks. I like the idea of soaking the chips in bourbon and adding them and some of the bourbon to the secondary.

I'm really looking forward to drinking this one.

Cheers

My wife and several of my craft beer loving friends told me that the Bourbon barrel stout I did was the best beer they had ever tasted.

Oh, I also had 2 whole vanilla beans, split down the middle soaking in the bourbon with the oak before I added it all to secondary. Vanilla really goes well with oak and bourbon!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 02-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
Oh, I also had 2 whole vanilla beans, split down the middle soaking in the bourbon with the oak before I added it all to secondary. Vanilla really goes well with oak and bourbon!
I did this as well.. It was fantastic. Added some nice complexity..
Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 04-16-2013, 05:41 AM   #9
julioardz
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 51 Posts

All of this great advice is for stouts. What about a whisky barrel oak doppelbock? I have 5+ gallons on the tail end of fermentation and can't decide how long to leave the oak chips in the beer once it's done fermenting. I really want the caramel and malt flavors to shine, but I also want a subtle whisky/oak flavor on the finish. How else can I describe what I'm going for? I want a beer drinker to say, that's a good bock, but there's something else I can't pinpoint, but I want a whisky drinker to say, that's some oak aged whisky flavor you got there.

I've never used oak chips before. I have 2.5oz of oak chips. These are whisky barrel chips. Chips that are suppose to be from a whisky barrel. I still plan to soak in whisky for a week before adding them. How long should I keep them in the beer to flavor it? 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks? I'll pull samples until I think it's ready, but I would still like to know what others think.

Recipe:
10lbs Vienna
7 lbs Munich
12oz carapils
4oz de-bittered black
Double Decoction
1oz Tettnang - 60mins
1oz Hallertauer - 30mins
Hell of a lot of lager yeast at 52-54F
OG was 1.087. FG is expected to be around 1.018.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #10
WarrantedFED
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You're on the right track. I made the Northern Brewer Mustache Envy Belgian Stout a couple of years back using medium toast French oak soaked with bourbon, it was great.

Right now I am working on a 10 gallon Firestone Walker Double DBA Imperial Special Bitter and a 5 gallon Firestone Walker Velvet Merlin Oatmeal Stout. Both will use heavily bourbon soaked French Oak Cubes, probably 2 ounces of cubes per 5 gallons for about 5 or 6 weeks.

I like the idea of vanilla but it will fade over time, so if aging this could diminish before consuming. And with rum, since it was mentioned, I have used this and it became more powerful I think over the course of a few months.

There's nothing better in my opinion than a whiskey barrel aged strong stout or Barleywine!

Check out theses links for good info, I came across this info a few months back when trying to decide whether to procure a used Woodinville Whiskey oak barrel, and decided to go with cubes instead due primarily to oxidization risk. (If its not okay to link to another forum or something please let me know so I can delete the links):
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/view...?f=29&t=104116

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/view...p?f=1&t=113047

Quick Reply