Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Whiskey Soaked Oak cubes and a Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #21
Gritsak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I recently added oak soaked in bourbon (1month soaked) to a RIS. I used 1oz of soaked cubes and .25oz of fresh cubes. I chose not to add the bourbon, but kept it in a jar to add later if needed. I ended up keeping the oak in for about 2 months. When i reached approximately what i wanted from the oak, i left it in another 2 weeks. I did this to account for some fading since the beer will age another 3-6 months before serving.

I brew lots of beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #22
Darkness
Local's Need's Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I have done a number of Oaked stouts and bourbon soaked oak as well. I soak the oak cubes till they are all sitting on the bottom of bottel or about 2 months. 2oz of American med. is what I have done. I have a Bourbon Oaked Russian Imperial Stout sitting right now can't wait to bottle it.
Keg1 Vanilla Coffee Milk Stout
Keg2 APA
Keg3 Gereman Rye
Keg4 Robust Porter
Keg5 Dark Saison

Primary empty
Secondary 20gal Black Imperial IPA , Belguim Wit, Apple Wood Smoked IPA dry hopped w/ Citra

Old 12-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #23
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Bump.

I brewed my oak aged whiskey barrel stout, again.

However, this time the oak cubes had been soaking for a week or two over the one year mark.

The roughly 3.5 oz of cubes, and 4 oz of the whisky it was soaking in aged for 3 months in the bottle.

The brew is spectacular! I thought about saving a few to submit to a comp., but I can't part with them, they are soooo good!

Anyhow, cheers!

3rd recipe down, 5 more to go.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Quick Reply