Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > whiskey chips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
roasty257
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default whiskey chips

So I really want to brew and get a good whiskey flavor like you would get from fermenting in a whiskey barrel, but I don't want to brew a big 50 gallon batch. I have been thinking about just using did chips that you would use for smoking but I don't know if that would just ruin the beer by causing infection. I also don't know when the right time to add the chips

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by roasty257 View Post
So I really want to brew and get a good whiskey flavor like you would get from fermenting in a whiskey barrel, but I don't want to brew a big 50 gallon batch. I have been thinking about just using did chips that you would use for smoking but I don't know if that would just ruin the beer by causing infection. I also don't know when the right time to add the chips
What I like to do is soak about 1 ounce of oak chips in some bourbon (for my bourbon barrel beers) for about 3 weeks (during fermentation of the beer) and then use those chips, along with the bourbon in the jar, in secondary.

I did that with a big American amber, and it was sooooo good!

You could soak your chips (regular oak chips, not "smoking chips" but the regular oak chips from the homebrew store) in 2 cups of whiskey for a couple of weeks, and then use that (whiskey and all) in secondary. That would probably give you what you're looking for.

I'm not a whiskey kind of girl, so I've never tried that. but the bourbon? Oh, yeah!!

Old 04-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1504

I use 2-3oz of oak chips soaking in 2-3 jiggers of Beam's Black in an airtight container ( I like the Oscar Meyer deli containers)in the fridge during primary. Then pour all through a hop sock into secondary,tie it off,& drop it in. Rack the beer onto it seal & airlock it. Check it 5-7 days later with a shot glass to see if the strength is where I want it. I'm kickin around the idea of doing it with a PM milk stout. Iced coffee bourbon flavor anyone?!

Quick Reply