Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Whirlpooling, plate chiller, how long to settle, HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 03:27 AM   #11
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 402 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyh View Post
I love my plate chiller (Therminator). I've brewed for years using ice baths and thought a plate chiller would only save me a few minutes. Sick of ice baths, I finally broke down and bought a chiller. Now I run the wort at 200°F from the kettle through the chiller, using 65°F tap water, and into the fermenter where it arrives at 70°F. I love physics!

Cleaning is easy: I flush it both directions with water and let it dry. Blichmann suggests soaking it in PBW (or equivalent) too for 30 minutes and flushing again but I don't always do that and mine seems fine.

I don't understand the worry about water use. Water is 1 cent/gallon or so (and it's a renewable resource), why worry about 20-30 cents when it's saving you an hour of time and your beer? I feed the output of the chiller to my plants too.
Sounds pretty good to me...

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #12
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1218 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
Are we talking about the same pump? I'm talking about a March pump to pump the wort through a plate chiller. It sounds like you're talking about an immersible pump running water through an icewater bath. Am I confused?
I'm talking about a standard recirculating/whirlpool IC setup.

It's a regular march pump, which pulls the wort from my kettle's ball valve and sends it back into the kettle via a bit of bent copper tubing. It creates a whirlpool that flows across the copper of the IC (which is hooked up to a regular hose) and cools the wort down lickety split. This and my plate chiller are equally efficient, both in terms of water used and time spent.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #13
b-boy
16%er

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
I'm talking about a standard recirculating/whirlpool IC setup.

It's a regular march pump, which pulls the wort from my kettle's ball valve and sends it back into the kettle via a bit of bent copper tubing. It creates a whirlpool that flows across the copper of the IC (which is hooked up to a regular hose) and cools the wort down lickety split. This and my plate chiller are equally efficient, both in terms of water used and time spent.
OK - now I get it. Interesting. I wouldn't think that that would have that big of an impact on the cooling. I guess anyhing that increases the wort's exposure to the IC would improve the process. I might give that a try. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:06 AM   #14
Retrofit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

One of my friends insisted circulating wort wouldn't impact chill times. He's irrationally crazy about infection. He left the room once and I started whirl pooling his wort with a spoon. When he got back I had dropped the temperature faster than he ever did just staring at still wort. By moving the liquid you increase surface area and that allows the wort to chill faster. Now he 'spins the spoon'.

I on the other hand, have a march pump whirl pooling my wort as I use an immersion chiller. In fact, I have a recirculating immersion chiller so I all I do is hit to button and clean up as my beer chills it's self. Takes about 30 minutes.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #15
b-boy
16%er

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit View Post
One of my friends insisted circulating wort wouldn't impact chill times. He's irrationally crazy about infection. He left the room once and I started whirl pooling his wort with a spoon. When he got back I had dropped the temperature faster than he ever did just staring at still wort. By moving the liquid you increase surface area and that allows the wort to chill faster. Now he 'spins the spoon'.

I on the other hand, have a march pump whirl pooling my wort as I use an immersion chiller. In fact, I have a recirculating immersion chiller so I all I do is hit to button and clean up as my beer chills it's self. Takes about 30 minutes.
Yes - I always stir my wort and I agitate the IC during cooling. You need to do it. I just didn't think a constant circulation would have that big of an impact. It makes perfect sense, but I never considered a constant wort circulation before.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #16
Brew-boy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I use the JZ whirlpool style chiller with an IC, it is very fast in chilling. From boiling to 65 in 15 minutes.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Quick Reply