Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > whirlpooling with a hand blender?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
RonPopeil
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default whirlpooling with a hand blender?

has anyone tried this? i don't have a pump and am trying to figure out how to get a vortex going. i think i could get spiral going with my hand blender on high.

Pipeline:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Homebrewing as a way to save money is like getting married as a way to always have sex.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1975 Times on 1223 Posts
Likes Given: 2799

Only one way to find out! Probably depends a lot on how large of volume you're trying to whirlpool, . I've often considered using a large paint stirrer (sanitized of course) on the end of a drill. I've used it to aerate beer before and it really gets a whirlpool going. The problem is I used this method to aerate, might not be a good idea with hot wort. But then again I do it very aggressively during aeration, could probably get a good whirlpool going at a slower speed with out a lot of aeration.

I'm not recommending this, I've never tried it. But I might.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
RonPopeil
Recipes 

foaming is my main worry.

and technically speaking shouldn't a whirlpool aerate? swirl plates aerate starter so a small vortex is all you should need to aerate a batch of beer.

Pipeline:

Quote:
Homebrewing as a way to save money is like getting married as a way to always have sex.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1975 Times on 1223 Posts
Likes Given: 2799

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPopeil View Post
foaming is my main worry.

and technically speaking shouldn't a whirlpool aerate? swirl plates aerate starter so a small vortex is all you should need to aerate a batch of beer.
Foaming would be my worry as well. Seems it would be introducing oxygen when we don't want it.

Technically? Hmm I looked up the various descriptions and: "rapid rotation", "moves very fast in a circle", "water that moves in powerful circular"
etc., does sound more like the discription of a stir plate or using a paint stirrer to aerate. I think in homebrewing it is usually referring to a a genltle circular rotation of wort to help both cool and form a cone of trub on the bottom of a brew kettle.

IDK, I'm just spitballing here.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
fartinmartin
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 19

We need a hydro cyclone , I came across this in the engineering field used for cleaning cutting lubricants on grinding machines, Dyson vacuum cleaners use the same principal I think. the liquid enters a cone in a circular motion, it travels down the cone, at the bottom the heavies drop out (that our particulate) and somehow the now lighter liquid travels back up the inside of the cone clean and without the particulate, easy ! if only I new more about it !!!!!!

Old 12-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
billl
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just my 2 cents, but trying to whirlpool without a pump is pretty much useless. Yes, you could get a whirlpool going a whole lot of ways, but it just isn't going to be consistent enough to separate the trub very well. Any tiny bit of turbulence will just knock the trub back up into suspension.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 720 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 277

a whirlpool doesn't need to be so fast that you need a motor... although i doubt that a hand-blender will be able to move that much liquid anyways.

sanitize a big stainless spoon and mix with that. much more effective. spin the spoon around a few times, put on lid, and let rest.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 12-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Are you guys talking about creating a whirlpool on the hot side in the kettle? It really isn't that hard, I use my regular brewing spoon, unsanitized (no reason to, it's in 210F wort!), for about 20 seconds, and I let the whirlpool settle for 5 minutes. Nice big cone of hot break & hops in the center of the kettle.

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:02 AM   #9
RonPopeil
Recipes 

right now i'm using a metal spoon. i usually spin the wort up to move it around my wort chiller and cool it faster. it's difficult to spin the wort around with the chiller in because of the amount of space between the chiller and the kettle wall.

also, if i'm trying to add hops in a 30 minute whirlpool then doing it by hand is gonna suck.

Pipeline:

Quote:

Old 12-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #10
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

A pump might be better, but I get good results with a long spoon or stainless racking cane.

Start on the outside getting the wort spinning. Get it moving faster and faster. Bring the spoon in toward the center and spin in very quick small circles. Let it rest a bit. You'll have a nice pile of hop and break sludge in the center.
The only time I suck it up is when I tilt to get the last few ounces.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

Quick Reply