Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > whirlpooling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Sucram2202
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default whirlpooling

I finally got a diverter which allows me to pull wort from the side of my kettle instead of the middle. I've atempted twice to do a whirlpool and neither were successful. I'm interested to hear from people who whirlpool as a part of their process. Any advice or tips?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My process is very simple, but had been effective for me.
I simply stir the wort at flame out for a few minutes, creating a nice whirlpool.
Then, let sit for 20 minutes. This is important.
Once I turn the pump on and start drawing from the side, I catch the first few ounces of junk and discard. This will create a nice wort channel in the kettle, allowing me to draw clear wort.
Keep an eye on it as it is drawing down, and you'll be left with a nice trub cake.

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/evandena/videos

Old 05-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
wailingguitar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 433

I second the rest period after the whirlpool... while I don't bother at home (I just dump it all into my ferm! screw it!), the SOP from the commercial systems I have worked on is a 5-10 minute whirlpool followed by a 30 minute rest. I don't believe those times are needed for a home system, evandena's sound good to me. One thing I would recommend to someone making a fancy home kettle would be to put a trub dam in front of your OUT port, they may not ALWAYS be necessary, but they certainly help.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Quick Reply