Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Whirlpool Chilling, DMS, Hop Aroma

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Douglefish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Whirlpool Chilling, DMS, Hop Aroma

So I've thought and read a ton on Whirlpool chilling to reduce DMS and get increased Hop Aroma. This makes a lot of sense to me. I have a couple of questions though.

I've read that SMM stops being converted to DMS when the wort drops below 170 degrees, is that what everyone else believes?

Secondly, at what temp do I stop loosing Hop Aroma and Flavor? Is it the boiling that stops the loss of Aroma and Flavor, or is it temperature related?

I like the idea of cooling my entire wort volume down, but have a CFC. Whirl-pooling through the CFC is just SLOW, but maybe it doesn't matter? If I can drop the whole volume down below 170 in a couple of minutes and that temp also prevents hop Flavor and Aroma loss then what's the big deal? At that point I'll just finish the whirlpool and run the rest through the CFC to get to pitching temp?

Just curious as to what everyone thinks about whirlpool flavor and aroma loss?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply