Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Whirlpool - The big How-To

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2006, 06:39 AM   #11
AdIn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wait for 20-30 minutes, that's the key. When I tried to wirlpool my wort - I did not wait and thought I did something wrong, ended up with all the trub in primary.

Thanks!

BTW, nice copper color of your wort too. For how long did you do each rest?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #12
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdIn
Wait for 20-30 minutes, that's the key.
That and stir the whirlpool for at least a minute to really get it started. I think I wasn't doing it vigorously enough the first couple times I tried it.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-28-2006, 01:57 PM   #13
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
That and stir the whirlpool for at least a minute to really get it started. I think I wasn't doing it vigorously enough the first couple times I tried it.
Make sure you only stir cold wort vigerously since it could cause hot side aeration in hot wort. But I don't think anybody here pland to use whirlpooling with hot wort.

Kai

Old 03-28-2006, 02:00 PM   #14
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdIn
BTW, nice copper color of your wort too. For how long did you do each rest?
This is my Oktoberfest with

6lb Pilsner
5lb light Munic

The mash was a tripple decoction (I already admited in another thread that it was overkill ) with about 10-15min boil times for the first 2 decoctions.

Kai

Old 03-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #15
m_f
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Kaiser: thanks for the post!
That is one thing that is driving me nut on brew day! had I read your post before I had saved 8 bucks I spent on a Funnel-mesh combo that didn't work last saturday!!!!

I'll give wirpooling/syphoning a try next weekend. I did it before but not OK... I'll try it again.

Only one comment on whirpooling hot wort:
I think that this is the way to go with counterflow chillers or at least someone told me so. No idea how they deal with aireation though...

thanks again!

Old 03-28-2006, 02:15 PM   #16
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
Make sure you only stir cold wort vigerously since it could cause hot side aeration in hot wort. But I don't think anybody here pland to use whirlpooling with hot wort.
That's a good point, though. I had read all sorts of advice on whirlpooling, but none of them mentioned to do it after chilling. Makes sense, I was just surprised of no mention.

Great post, BTW!

Old 03-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #17
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_f
Kaiser: thanks for the post!
That is one thing that is driving me nut on brew day! had I read your post before I had saved 8 bucks I spent on a Funnel-mesh combo that didn't work last saturday!!!!
I have two of them. One large one for the bucket and one that fits the carboy. I still get some brewing use out of them. But large funnels are always handy even if they are not used for brewing.

Quote:
Only one comment on whirpooling hot wort:
I think that this is the way to go with counterflow chillers or at least someone told me so. No idea how they deal with aireation though...
It sure works. But you have to be more careful not to suck air into the wort by creating a vortex (or wortex in this case ). Just stir it slower for a longer time to get the even rotation. One of the breweries I vistited recently uses a pump to get the whirlpool going. The just suck in the wort and inject it back at angle.

Kai

Old 03-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #18
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser

Kai
I whirlpool hot wort all the time. That is how it was developed in breweries. It is designed as a way of seperating hotbreak. That doesn't mean it can't be done post chilling, but the infection issue is greater post chilling. I have never had a problem with hot side aeration whirlpooling, the beer is whirled, not splashed. The reason it makes sense to whirlpool post chilling is if you don't have any other way to remove cold break from your fermenter. This is the reason conicals are used, that and yeast removal later on. But my point is simply that whirlpooling is very often done on the hot side.

This BYO link is useful and makes my point near the end when it talks about sucking trub into the chiller:
http://byo.com/mrwizard/750.html

Old 03-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #19
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Just to sort of branch off on the side here, this is exactly the type of post that should be put into a FAQ or How-to thread/forum/something. Brewpastor started a great one of step-mashing this week, as well. I think some sort of moderated area where 'worthy' material is brought in for reference/posterity would be really useful. I know it's been bandied about some by TxBrew and others.

And a picture is definitely worth 1000 words!

Old 03-28-2006, 05:42 PM   #20
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
But my point is simply that whirlpooling is very often done on the hot side.
This is indeed true. But only because commercial breweries don't use immersion chillers (danger of infection and less efficient) and many homebrewers (especially in America) don't really know about whirlpooling.

Kai

Quick Reply