Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Whirlpool - The big How-To

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #141
Jogurt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLooking View Post
but it could depend on the malster?
Definitely. Otherwise I invented some new kind of fermentation since it had a healthy krausen this morning

Still I can not imagine how smoking over cold smoke could affect diastatic power, regardless of the smoking agent. I guess it depends on the temperature. Maybe peat smoke is traditionally used hot, but apparently nobody told the maltsters making what I used.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #142
atoughram
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 277

I've been trying to whirlpool now for the last few batches. I've switched to pellet hops, removed the false bottom in my BK, tried to use a torpedo screen on the outlet but it clogged up, installed a whirlpool fitting and valve, and now have the pickup tube near the edge and within a quarter inch of the bottom of the kettle (See picture). I'm using an immersion chiller

My plan to whirlpool were these steps.

1) Start water flow to the IC.
2) Circulate hot wort from kettle outlet through the whirlpool fitting until wort is to pitching temp.
3) Remove IC and continue to circulate another minute or two.
4) Stop circulation and cover for 20-30 minutes.
5) Pump into the fermenter from the kettle outlet.

Three questions - How will the chugger pump handle hop and trub debris? How do you clean debris out of the chugger pump? Are there any glaring problems with the steps I'll be taking or the equipment I'll be using?

img_1462.jpg  
On tap
Mulholland Hard Cider OG 1.084
Carbon River Hefe OG 1.046

Old 02-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #143
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoughram View Post
I've been trying to whirlpool now for the last few batches. I've switched to pellet hops, removed the false bottom in my BK, tried to use a torpedo screen on the outlet but it clogged up, installed a whirlpool fitting and valve, and now have the pickup tube near the edge and within a quarter inch of the bottom of the kettle (See picture). I'm using an immersion chiller

My plan to whirlpool were these steps.

1) Start water flow to the IC.
2) Circulate hot wort from kettle outlet through the whirlpool fitting until wort is to pitching temp.
3) Remove IC and continue to circulate another minute or two.
4) Stop circulation and cover for 20-30 minutes.
5) Pump into the fermenter from the kettle outlet.

Three questions - How will the chugger pump handle hop and trub debris? How do you clean debris out of the chugger pump? Are there any glaring problems with the steps I'll be taking or the equipment I'll be using?
I use those exact same steps, except my system has a March pump. The march seems to have no issue with debris. As for cleaning, I run a gallon or so of hot PBW through the pump while I am cleaning up the rest of my gear. I recirculate for a couple minutes to loosen everything up then just pump the solution into a bucket.

For good measure, I also empty the sanitizer in my fermenter back into a bucket. The last thing I do on brew day is to run that bucket of sanitizer through my pump. Probably overkill but since I have it already mixed up, I figure why not?

Every few brews I open the head on my pump. I've never seen anything other than clean and debris free when I do.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #144
atoughram
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin View Post
Every few brews I open the head on my pump. I've never seen anything other than clean and debris free when I do.
Perfect - I thought I was doing it correctly but wasn't sure. I've got a Little Giant and a Chugger pump - the head on the little giant is easy to clean, I tear it down every brew and rinse it and spray star-san on it before reassembly. So far I've only used the Chugger Pump for clear water.
On tap
Mulholland Hard Cider OG 1.084
Carbon River Hefe OG 1.046

Quick Reply