Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Whew! I saved a stuck sparge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
KellyL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Whew! I saved a stuck sparge

I don't post much, but figured this was worth sharing. Yesterday I tried a new Cream Ale (Spotted Cow) clone. Everything went well up to the mash... not that much can go wrong. When the hour was up, my sparge water was heated, I was ready to go and I cracked the valved open. Nothing but a trickle came out.

My problem is that I switched from a bazooka screen to a manifold made of soft copper with slits cut in it. I put a pound of rice hulls in the bottom to keep the corn and flaked barley from sticking, but it didn't help. I've never had a stuck sparge so I panicked a little.

After staring at it for a few minutes, I attached a tube to the nipple and blew into it. I got a little bit of wort out and then it stuck again. I kept blowing into it until it flowed freely. I have to say that I felt like a genius. I had visions of having to transfer the mash into paint strainers and cringed at the thought.

So, to summarize, before stirring your mash, try blowing back into the valve and don't cheap out on a false bottom. Now I have some copper to recycle and a false bottom to order.

Kelly

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 02:50 AM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I have a SS braid in my 10 Gallon Rubbermaid water cooler. In 14 batches I have only had one scare. It was actually a layer of fine particles on top of the larger grain. I poked a hole through that layer and it drained easily.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:29 AM   #3
Monstar
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Dude that's a great idea! Great work

Old 07-06-2012, 03:38 AM   #4
Toy4Rick
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

On my third AG my sparge was definitely reduced compared to the first 2 batches so I made sure to stir real well on the last sparge addition, let it sit for 5 mins then cracked open the valve just a bit and the only thing that came out was grain, opened up the cooler and found my manifold had come lose from the back side of the valve. I scooped everything out, cleared the manifold, reinserted it and added the grain/wort back in and it took off like it should.

In my case, the stir was just to vigorous and dislodged the manifold.

Oh well, I hit my numbers pretty well and will bottle it next weekend

Toy4Rick

Old 07-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
flatulentfox
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have used an air compressor to do the same on several (frustrating) occasions.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I don’t know how you could stick a copper manifold. Mine runs like a cow peein’ on a flat rock. Are you sure you didn’t have a copper flake blocking the valve? Especially since this was the first time you used it.

When I built mine I chamfered all the slots and ends with a triangle file.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
garcara
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I also have a 10 gallon rubbermaid with SS braid and have never had issues (even with pumpkin and wheat beers).

Old 07-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 17

No need to freak out about a stuck sparge. I just stir well, vorlauf, and continue. Other than additional time, no big whoop.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatulentfox View Post
I have used an air compressor to do the same on several (frustrating) occasions.
I did this 2 weeks ago on a large Tank 7 clone. Felt like a genius when I pulling the air hose out and turning on the air compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne-R View Post
I don’t know how you could stick a copper manifold. Mine runs like a cow peein’ on a flat rock. Are you sure you didn’t have a copper flake blocking the valve? Especially since this was the first time you used it.

When I built mine I chamfered all the slots and ends with a triangle file.
I built a copper manifold for mine after crushing my braid on several occasions. My problem was a 10 gallon batch that Mr Retard here threw 3# worth of flaked corn and flaked wheat into the tun first. then 30# of malt and wheat on top of that. Stirring didn't help enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Old 07-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Be careful and hold the tube up near 90* when you blow into it. I tried this on my first stuck sparge and was greeted with 160* wort. Burned my tongue and mouth pretty good.

Quick Reply