Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Where to brew..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2010, 04:22 AM   #1
AnchorBock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Where to brew..

This weekend I would like to try my first all grain batch, which is also my first full volume batch. I'm going to use the BIAB method and have a 15 gallon kettle, bag, and 40' immersion chiller I just built. I'm trying to figure out where to brew. I usually just do partial boils on the stovetop with an icebath afterwards.

I had to turn my outside water off a few weeks ago, so I'm a little weary of boiling in the garage with the propane burner and then carrying the kettle filled with boiling wort outside up a few stairs and into the house to chill it, I'm sure it could be done, but I'm trying to figure out a better solution. I could carry it outside and set it down and get some snow around it to chill it, but I'm not sure how well this would work.

I initially planned to brew on my gas stovetop, which would work, except for the fact that it gets steam and condensation all over my house. I also don't get a full rolling boil unless the lid is on, but could insulate the kettle a bit to help with that. If I have to, I can deal with the condensation and maybe crack a couple windows to help a bit.

Either scenario will work - chilled wort will go in the carboy and into the basement. Do you guys have any advice to make either setup more workable? I'm trying to keep with the theme of BIAB by keeping it simple. Once it's warm enough to turn the outside water back on I'll probably just brew in the garage.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 100

You could run the hose from your chiller through a window to a faucet inside. Worth it not to carry a very heavy and very hot kettle.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
tomlivings
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My experience is that the stove will not bring anything bigger than 5 gallons to the boil. I have a 15gallon kettle and its awesome on the bayou burner, but even over two flames on the stove it struggles to get a rolling boil with 5gallons. Run a longer hose for the chiller, hose is cheaper than spilled wort and burned hands.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:57 AM   #4
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You could always check Home Depot or another large box hardware store for flat hoses. I believe they lay flat while not under pressure. You may be able to fit that sucker under a door or some other easier way to get the hose in the house.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
jwatson
Recipes 

I have the same situation brewing in Chicago. I decided to go to Home Depot and pick up a pond pump so I could recirculate water from a couple buckets in the garage. The good news is all the pond pumps are on clearance and I picked up a decent size one for $25.
Good luck.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
AnchorBock
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The hose idea is obvious, but of course hadn't occurred to me. The pump idea is pretty good too, how many gallons would you estimate it takes to cool 5~ gallons of wort with a 3/8" chiller?

Old 12-08-2010, 12:15 AM   #7
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorBock View Post
The hose idea is obvious, but of course hadn't occurred to me. The pump idea is pretty good too, how many gallons would you estimate it takes to cool 5~ gallons of wort with a 3/8" chiller?
It usually takes me about 10 to 15 gallons of water that's about 50ish F and I only have a 25' immersion cooler. With a pump and ice in the bucket(s) you could probably do it with much less.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Do a search for "No Chill".

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 12-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Do a search for "No Chill".
I love no chill.

I brew at my Dad's house and carry two no-chill cubes back to my APT.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

pond pump in tub, fill with water/snow. should chill the wort pretty quickly. If you are short of snow I have about 4' on the ground i could send your way. Don't forget to get your chiller into the warmth as you don't want water in there freezing.

You start with a full bag of luck and a empty bag of experience, your goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck

Quick Reply