Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Where to age a Barley Wine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #21
baldilocks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made a barleywine in February and I left it sitting in primary for 6 weeks, then transferred to secondary for 3 months. After secondary I bottled with the addition of extra yeast for carbing.

The main issue I found was in time required for carbing. Plan your time according to when you want to first drink it. It will take a while to carb, much longer than a lower gravity beer, and work back to when you should bottle.

Mine has been in bottles since end of June and are still not completely carbed. Might be an issure of added yeast or priming sugar. If you plan on kegging, then disregard what I said.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #22
bcgpete
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I made a barleywine at the beginning of August and let it sit in the primary for a month, then racked it to the secondary on top of some oak chips I had soaking in whiskey the whole time it was in the primary. I tasted it twice a week until the whiskey taste was a bit too strong for me, then crash-cooled and bottled it (about 3 weeks in secondary). Even for it being flat and warm in the secondary, I think it tasted delicious. It's only been bottled for a week now, so I've got a long time to let it age, but based on the 7 weeks after brewing, it seems like it'll taste pretty awesome.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #23
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I think this discussion is easily applied to any 'big' brew that's designed to develop over time. Having said that I got so frustrated this summer I posted a thread saying I was thinking of giving up brewing because I was SO frustrated over not being able to get around to bottling a Strong Scotch Ale. At that point it had been sitting in the primary for 2 months. That bier now about 6 months old just took 2nd place in a brew competition in it's category. I mention this as just one way to skin a cat. There's nothing wrong with doing your aging in a bottle. Thus this bier got 2 months primary, then bottled.

I'll add that I've got an Am. BW in secondary right now. I've had it in secondary for about a month now, primary for 4 weeks prior to that. Tomorrow I'll be adding my dry-hop addition and bottling in 7-10 days after that. So the BW is getting 1 month primary, 6 weeks secondary, then bottled.

Finally I've got a RIS I brewed last Dec., left in primary 1 month, secondary 4 months, then bottled.

So it's been my experience that it doesn't matter so much how big biers are aged, but it simply matters that they are aged.

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 09-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #24
MDRex
Recipes 

MVKTR2: Are you pitching more yeast at bottling time? If yes, how much yeast? How long are your big beers taking to carb in the bottle?

Old 09-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #25
bcgpete
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I made an RIS that's ~9%. I didn't pitch more yeast when I bottled and it was carbed up within 3 weeks. It definitely needs more time for the flavors to mellow, but it gets a nice thick head when poured and is definitely drinkable.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #26
MDRex
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgpete View Post
I made an RIS that's ~9%. I didn't pitch more yeast when I bottled and it was carbed up within 3 weeks. It definitely needs more time for the flavors to mellow, but it gets a nice thick head when poured and is definitely drinkable.
How long was it aged before it was bottled?

I plan on doing a BW soon and aging in a carboy for quite a while, maybe 6 months or more. Is repitching something that's needed more for long aged beers, rather than just high ABV?

Old 09-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #27
bcgpete
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I only let it sit in the primary for 5 weeks before I bottled it. I don't think there's much difference between bottle aging and carboy aging, but this is only a speculation, not from experience.

From my understanding adding more yeast is just to ensure that you'll get good carbonation in case the first batch of yeast is too tired from the big beer (high ABV).

Old 09-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #28
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRex View Post
MVKTR2: Are you pitching more yeast at bottling time? If yes, how much yeast? How long are your big beers taking to carb in the bottle?
On my 8.5% Strong Scotch I did not pitch more yeast & it was carbed at 5 or so weeks when I tried one. On the 9.4% RIS, I did re-pitch about a half pack. Both carbed up just fine. I chose to on the RIS because it was sitting around so long & probably needed it a lot more than the Strong Scotch. I'm planning on repitching about a half pack on my BW as well as it's 10.4% abv.

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #29
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgpete View Post
I only let it sit in the primary for 5 weeks before I bottled it. I don't think there's much difference between bottle aging and carboy aging, but this is only a speculation, not from experience.

From my understanding adding more yeast is just to ensure that you'll get good carbonation in case the first batch of yeast is too tired from the big beer (high ABV).
bcgPete, are you from Starkville MS? If so we're almost neighbors as I'm down in Kosciusko. Check out http://grou.ps/hbamm as it's my HB club's website and we have a group of folks from Starkville/Columbus who've joined. They apparently have had or are planning on getting together for brews.

Schlante,
Phillip

Old 09-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #30
brewingkitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

would the carboy do better with a solid stopper or an air lock for 6 month to a year of aging??

"Damn ye, yellow-bellied sapsuckers; I'm a better man than all of ye milksops put together" - Blackbeard

"...I have really good sex moves; that I learned in China. I'm a sexual tiger; and feed on va-gine-a." - Jon Lajoie

Quick Reply