Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Where to age a Barley Wine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #11
Paraops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa View Post
It all depends on your situation; If you have the space and temperature controls to keep it in your "secondary" to smooth out then I would do that; if you are space limited and need to brew more you could keg it and put it in your keezer - but that will just elongate the time needed for it to achieve greatness (things go slower in the cold) or you could keg and leave it at room temperature if your room is no hotter than 75F or so....

With an OG of 1.092 it will taste horrid at first but over time will mellow into a delicious treat.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks man....room's not an issue so I'll probably rack to secondary and forget about it. as far as length of aging.....what do you guys suggest? I keg, so I'd rather keg and carb when it's ready to serve instead of kegging and carbing pre-maturely just to sample it as time passes.

YTD Gallons Brewed: 105

If God didn't want us to eat animals..... we wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #12
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraops View Post
Thanks man....room's not an issue so I'll probably rack to secondary and forget about it. as far as length of aging.....what do you guys suggest? I keg, so I'd rather keg and carb when it's ready to serve instead of kegging and carbing pre-maturely just to sample it as time passes.
I am using a keg to secondary in, but just keeping it at fermentation temps (or lower) and not carbing. I plan to leave it alone until October, which will be 8 months from brew-date. At that point, if I like how it tastes I'll chill, carb and start serving in November. IMHO, minimum time for a Barleywine is 6 months. I plan to kill one keg of this through the holiday season. The other I'm going to bottle and put on the shelf for quite some time...maybe another 1-2 years.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #13
mpcondo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i am prepareing for my first barley wine, and I just got an extra carboy from a seller on craigslist for 4 bucks!!!!! so I can keep brewing while it ages. Im planning on giving it about 2 weeks in primary then racking to secondary for 6 months before bottling and allowing to age a little more in the bottles. I was also thining about taking 1 gallon and making an ice beer. just saw the podcast from basic brewing radio and it looked amazing.

Last edited by mpcondo; 06-08-2009 at 09:45 PM.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:08 AM   #14
12lbchevelle
Recipes 

I know Im bringing back an old thread but it doesnt matter.

The reason is it shows up at the top of a google search for "rack time barleywine" and I notice not a single post provides any actual experience with this topic. Everyone just friggin plans to rack for 6+ months or whatever they seem to think is right.

Anyone have actual experience or science that will say that a certain time in primary or secondary will do anything?

Old 09-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #15
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12lbchevelle View Post
I know Im bringing back an old thread but it doesnt matter.

The reason is it shows up at the top of a google search for "rack time barleywine" and I notice not a single post provides any actual experience with this topic. Everyone just friggin plans to rack for 6+ months or whatever they seem to think is right.

Anyone have actual experience or science that will say that a certain time in primary or secondary will do anything?
This is what I noticed as well. Lots of "I plan to"
My BW is currently in the secondary waiting until i can decide what to do with it.
I just finished a Mirror Mirror which was nearrly ruined by oak. I am not sure why someone would want to do that with a thing as tasty as beer, but for this guy, it is unacceptable.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:02 AM   #16
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12lbchevelle View Post
I have a 4-month-old barleywine in bottles. It was in the primary for 1 month, bulk aged for 1 month (the last 2 weeks of which involved dry-hopping w/3 oz), and then bottled. I was impatient and in addition to being uncarbed it tasted absolutely disgusting after 3 weeks in bottles. I cracked one a few days ago and it was drinkable but still too flat.

Whatever you decide to do, pitch more yeast at bottling time!!! I learned that lesson the hard way. I have no clue when or if my batch will be adequately carbed.

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Old 09-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #17
12lbchevelle
Recipes 

Thanks Ouroboros thats a helpful post.

Ill make sure to add yeast at bottling. Should I do like half a teaspoon per bottle? or like 2 tablespoons to the batch and mix it up, or would that just kick up the crap on the bottom of the secondary.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #18
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I left mine in primary until it was finished the transferred to a keg. I have been aging this cold and in Nov it will be 1 year old. I will begin to drink it at the one age mark.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 09-28-2010, 03:03 AM   #19
madbaldman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

What about doing the majority of aging in bottles - does that work? Carboy space is a bit tight. Could I primary for a month or two and then do the long term aging in bottles? I've yet to make a barley wine but have been itching to.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:33 AM   #20
Goblet
Recipes 

Mine is bulk aging in a keg, with a CO2 blanket over it. Hoping to avoid oxidation issues that way. Reconditioned soda kegs are pretty cheap and don't take up a lot of room.

Quick Reply