Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > When to take IPA out of primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
EamusCatuli
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default When to take IPA out of primary?

Hey all, my IPA will be done fermenting and in the primary for one week tomorrow. I have been convinced to start leaving my beer in the primary for up to 4 weeks to let the yeasties clean up the beer, where I used to do everything on the 1-2-3 approach. However, for this IPA I will be dry hopping, so secondary is a must. Should I rack tomorrow or wait longer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Depends on how big it was. I usually try to leave all of my beers in primary for at least a couple weeks (2 or 3). My gauge for racking is when the beer is fully attenuated, the yeast has dropped and the beer has started to clear. No reason to move it before the yeast has done their thing and given up. The bigger the beer, the longer this seems to take.

My last IPA was racked after 14 days. Current IIPA in secondary got there after 22. I made the mistake of racking early once. Never fully attenuated, and ended up being sweet, and didn't age well.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
EamusCatuli

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3n8 View Post
Depends on how big it was. I usually try to leave all of my beers in primary for at least a couple weeks (2 or 3). My gauge for racking is when the beer is fully attenuated, the yeast has dropped and the beer has started to clear. No reason to move it before the yeast has done their thing and given up. The bigger the beer, the longer this seems to take.

My last IPA was racked after 14 days. Current IIPA in secondary got there after 22. I made the mistake of racking early once. Never fully attenuated, and ended up being sweet, and didn't age well.
1.042 OG, It was supposed to be 1.064 but the crush sucked something awful and I got a 50% efficiency. Oh well, horray for light IPA's. Ill leave it for another week, cant hurt. Then prob. another 2 weeks or so in the secondary dry-hopping. Then straight to the KEG!

Old 08-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EamusCatuli View Post
Hey all, my IPA will be done fermenting and in the primary for one week tomorrow. I have been convinced to start leaving my beer in the primary for up to 4 weeks to let the yeasties clean up the beer, where I used to do everything on the 1-2-3 approach. However, for this IPA I will be dry hopping, so secondary is a must. Should I rack tomorrow or wait longer?
As soon as my IPA was done fermenting (3 days same hydro reading), I racked to secondary and dry hopped with 1.5 ounces. It took 9 days to fully ferment, and after that I racked to secondary and let that sit for 2.5 weeks. That IPA was a beautiful thing...

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 08-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
bergman1118
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

i would probably leave it in longer than a week.. or go with the 3 day hydrometer reading approach. i just did an iipa and am pretty sure i didn't leave it in primary long enough (only 8 days) b/c the end product is a bit sweeter than i'm sure its supposed to be. still tastes good though

Old 08-14-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 568 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 77

My extract IPAs improved greatly when I went 2 weeks primary and 2 weeks secondary. But I havn't dry hopped any, so best to ignore me.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBrit View Post
My extract IPAs improved greatly when I went 2 weeks primary and 2 weeks secondary. But I havn't dry hopped any, so best to ignore me.
Most of us do anyway, Brit.

OP - as long as it's done you can move it anytime you want.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
EamusCatuli

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I know its done fermenting, but was told that leaving beer in the primary for extended amounts of time was the best upgrade to peeps beers they have made (as far as processes). It just seems like it doesnt work with dry-hopped IPA's. Its going to be my first one, and since IPA's are about the most expensive batch of brew out there, I want to do it right.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
King of Cascade
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

why not dry hop in the primary after the fermentation stops. I just sprinkle the hop pellets in the fermented beer and rack to the keg from the primary three weeks later.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
EamusCatuli

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Cascade View Post
why not dry hop in the primary after the fermentation stops. I just sprinkle the hop pellets in the fermented beer and rack to the keg from the primary three weeks later.
Thought about it, except that typically you need to rack on top of the hops to ensure it gets through all of the beer. Plus, I really want to keep the IPA on top of the yeast cake as long as possible.

Quick Reply