The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > When to take hydrometer reading

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 01:50 AM   #1
cellardoor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default When to take hydrometer reading

I brewed my first batch today (It was as much fun as expected, even though i spilled some of the wort on the floor) and was wondering when to take the hydrometer reading. I took it before I added the yeast and after. My instructions had the hydrometer reading step before the yeast addition so I assumed that was the correct order. My before yeast reading was 1.023 and my after yeast was 1.048. As a newbie brewer which one should I use as my inital specific gravity. Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 01:53 AM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ideally you want to take the reading before pitching. But if you take it after it's not a big deal.

The most likely reason for the disparity in your readings is that you hadn't mixed the wort thoroughly enough for the first reading. Stirring in the yeast (which I assume you did) gave you what was most likely the proper reading.

Congrats on the first batch!

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply