Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > when and how to use beano?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #21
McGarnigle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkNoH2O View Post
Have a question regarding Beano and kegging.

I recently brewed a Black IPA with an OG of 1.067 and a huge starter (1.5L, decanted and stepped to 2L) of WLP001. It began showing signs of fermentation (bubbling like crazy) within 6 hours and all was good. It chugged along pretty aggressively in a water bath (wort temp about 67*F) for about 3 days then bubbling suddenly ceased. At that point the SG was stuck at 1.024 and has held there for a week so I know it's done. In an effort to restart fermentation I pitched a pack of rehydrating Notty but got nothing.

Ideally I want to drop the FG to around 1.014. I've read alot about Beano and how once you add it it will keep going until you're bone dry but would it be possible for me to stop fermentation by cold crashing/kegging? I realize this won't denature the Beano but it will stop yeast activity.

Thoughts on adding Beano, waiting until I hit my desired FG and then cold crashing and kegging to halt yeast activity? IF possible, how many tablets of Beano would you add?
Based on what's written above, you wouldn't cold-crash to stop it, you'd heat it up to ~130 degrees. I don't think cold will stop the enzyme.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #22
DrinkNoH2O
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnigle View Post
Based on what's written above, you wouldn't cold-crash to stop it, you'd heat it up to ~130 degrees. I don't think cold will stop the enzyme.
I never said it would. I have no method of heating the beer, only cooling it.

I understand that cooling it won't stop the enzyme but in theory it WILL stop the yeast from further fermenting any simple sugars that the enzyme may continue to create from the complex sugars/starches even after cooling.

i.e. - cooling will stop yeast but not enzyme. Thus the SG will theoretically stop dropping when I cool the beer.

Thoughts?

Old 09-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #23
DrinkNoH2O
Recipes 

anybody, thoughts?

Old 09-30-2012, 02:30 AM   #24
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Drink - that should work. The enzyme will work very slowly at cold temps, and the yeast pretty much not at all. However, to the extent that the enzyme does convert dextrins to sugars, the beer may pick up sweetness.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 09-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #25
silvery37
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

It would depend on how long you are going to drink the beer after you cool it. The yeast is probably going to continue fermenting slowly. Just a guess but as long as you drink it in a month or two it should work just fine.

I used beano in the last beer I made. It was an extremely light ale. I added three crushed tablets when I added the yeast. The SG was 1.041 and after 3 weeks I was at 1.003. I used white labs super yeast. The result was exactly what I wanted. It is essentially a tasteless beer. I was trying to make something for all my BMC friends. I used the austin homebrew low cal kit which was just extra pale LME, corn syrup, and 17 IBUs. With a little lime it is a very easy drinking beer.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #26
DrinkNoH2O
Recipes 

Thanks guys, exactly the info I was looking for.

I'll probably crush 3 tablets and see where that takes me. Crash cool once I hit desired FG. This beer will be for a party (As long as it tastes good) so it will be drank in a single evening.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #27
DrinkNoH2O
Recipes 

Aaaaannndd I go upstairs today to check on said beer and the airlock is chugging along (much more than just off gassing). Guess I won't be adding the beano, weird that it took well over a week after re-pitching to begin fermenting again. Hoping for no off-flavors.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:48 AM   #28
ronsky
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 19 Posts

(won't using beano make your airlock not fart... Ermm... Bubble?)
{[_]

Old 10-10-2012, 03:04 AM   #29
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 419 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsky View Post
(won't using beano make your airlock not fart... Ermm... Bubble?)
{[_]
It seems to have the opposite effect on singe celled organisms.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #30
DrinkNoH2O
Recipes 

Basically gas is caused by complex carbs/sugars not being broken down into simple sugars until they reach your large intestine, and then the simple sugars are fermented inside the large intestine causing you to fart. Beano breaks the complex carbs/sugars down earlier in your digestive tract so they can be digested and not end up fermenting in your large intestine.

In beer beano breaks down the complex carbs/sugars in the wort down into simple sugars so the yeast can ferment and ultimately reduce the SG.

Anyways....

Another update: this beer fermented fully down to 1.014 without the beano. It just picked up fermentation after a week and finished fine with no off flavors. I think the issue was that it got too cold in my water/ice bottle bath. My digital thermometer went out and I was just kind of guessing the temp based on experience as I added more ice bottles. It must have caused the yeast to go dormant.

After a week out of the ice bath at room temp it picked back up again and fermentation completed.

Quick Reply