Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > When to give it a rest...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Ceedubya
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default When to give it a rest...

I am currently in the primary fermentation of an Oktoberfest, and it still looks quite active. see here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/shou...w-today-79003/

This beer has been fermenting for one week at between 51 - 54 degrees.

Anyway, I want to include a diacetyl rest before I rack to the secondary, then bring it down a few degrees a day to lagar temps. I started with an OG of 1.080 at 70 degrees, so what should I expect for a hydrometer reading before I let the temp rise for the rest? And how long should I wait to take the reading, should I give it a few more days as long as it still looks active?

I have been reading everything I can on the diacetyl rest process and my understanding of it is: ferment until 2/3 complete, bring to room temp (60-65), rest for 2 days, rack to secondary, back into fridge, lower temp 3-5 degrees per day until lager temps are reaches (32-35).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's actually a very intuitive thing. Watch it like a hawk, and as soon as it looks like it's thinking about starting to slow down, take it out of the fridge.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
Ceedubya
Recipes 

swapped the blowoff tube for the airlock last night. still getting pretty good activity, bubbles every couple of seconds, and the krausen is still pretty high and active. I'm guessing another 4 or 5 days till rest.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
Ceedubya
Recipes 

I took a hydrometer reading last night. I started with a much higher OG than anticipated (1.080), as of last night I was sitting at 1.048. airlock is still burping every 5 to 7 seconds, and the krausen has dropped a little, but still looks quite active.

I'm gonna give it another day or two, then take another reading.

Its been running for 14 days now, and still chugging along. Tasted the sample last night, and seems to be pretty good. A little buttery, but am hoping the rest will clear that up.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 870

I think you're right- the diacetyl rest will take care of the off-flavor. Some yeasts produce a ton of diacetyl, some produce very little. I've actually skipped a diacetyl rest quite a few times, because it wasn't needed. It's a good thing you've been planning one all along.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

OP, you're right on everything, but I would wait a little longer for the D-rest. D-rests don't need to be done until the beer is 6 points shy of target FG. Of course, it doesn't have to be exact, so just ballpark it. It's better to be a little early than to miss it all together.

And how long do you plan to lager?... that looks like a 10-weeker!

END TRANSMISSION

Old 09-19-2008, 01:47 AM   #7
Seawolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

10 weeks for a 1.080 beer? Whoa!

I wonder what my Negra Modelo is going to need...

Primary - Bluebird Bitter, Negra Modelo
Secondary - Flanders Red
Drinking - Independence Pale Ale V1.0, Trappist Style Dubbel, Dunkelweizen, Saison, Fat Tire, SNPA
Conditioning - Chimay Red, Imperial American Pale Ale, Independence Pale Ale V2.0, Belgian Wit
Kegged - Bluebird Bitter

Old 09-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
Ceedubya
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
OP, you're right on everything, but I would wait a little longer for the D-rest. D-rests don't need to be done until the beer is 6 points shy of target FG. Of course, it doesn't have to be exact, so just ballpark it. It's better to be a little early than to miss it all together.

And how long do you plan to lager?... that looks like a 10-weeker!
I gave it another day, and it had slowed down a little more, didn't take another reading, just took it out. It has been sitting at 63 for a couple of days.

fermentation took back off pretty heavy for awhile, and has now slowed back down. I hope it is done by tomorrow morning. I will take a reading then.

The bad part about this is I am leaving for two weeks, so I had to get this done before I left. I was expecting the beer to finish primary earlier, but I guess they just have a mind of thier own

I probably should have given it a few more points before taking it out, but I hope it turns out OK.

I was figuring 8 to 10 weeks to lagar.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #9
Seawolf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

edit: nevermind

Primary - Bluebird Bitter, Negra Modelo
Secondary - Flanders Red
Drinking - Independence Pale Ale V1.0, Trappist Style Dubbel, Dunkelweizen, Saison, Fat Tire, SNPA
Conditioning - Chimay Red, Imperial American Pale Ale, Independence Pale Ale V2.0, Belgian Wit
Kegged - Bluebird Bitter

Last edited by Seawolf; 09-21-2008 at 08:27 PM.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
Ceedubya
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
Does lagering need to be done in a secondary? If I pull my lager out for a D-rest, should I rack it, or leave it?
Good Question!

Since I have to leave town for a couple of weeks (damn you work!), and I'm not sure this thing is really "finished" in the primary, am I ok to lagar in the primary, or even start it for a couple of weeks, then rack?

My wife will be monitoring the lagar fridge temp, and stepping it down using the controler.

Quick Reply