New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > When does Phosphoric become noticeable?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #21
ajdelange
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlosCarlies View Post
We'd likely have to add some calcium back when using lime as well, right?
Most likely, yes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #22
KraphtBier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Larger R.O systems are frequently used at the breweries around me. This is primarily for bicarbonate and sodium reduction. Phosphoric acid is commonly used as well (on almost every beer style that is lighter in color). And I have never detected the flavor of phosphoric acid.

If God made anything better than beer, apple pie, and women (in that order)...he kept it for himself.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #23
JABBY
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I am having to start buying culligan water as the local water is not good. I do not know if it is "dirty" but it smells God awful. I am really hoping that the culligan water is good for brewing and topping off with out to much worry on sanitation or the other.

"Make sure that the beer – four pints a week – goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop."
-Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

Old 04-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #24
CharlosCarlies

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Phosphoric acid is commonly used as well (on almost every beer style that is lighter in color). And I have never detected the flavor of phosphoric acid.
I finally got to do some tests and at least my palate agrees. No problems w/ the finished beer so far either.

Quote:
Larger R.O systems are frequently used at the breweries around me. This is primarily for bicarbonate and sodium reduction.
We looked into RO (well...actually nano-filtration but same idea), and other than the obvious initial capital cost we were concerned w/ the added waste water and more importantly the added time needed to run it through the filter. On top of that, we'd have to add salts back which isn't a huge deal, but still another step in the process.

Quick Reply