New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > When to add the pellet hops and for how long

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Fj3fury
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default When to add the pellet hops and for how long

I'm trying to wean myself off of whole prepackaged brew kits so I've got a can of ale malt and some cascade hop pellets along with the bags to put them in. So when during the process after I add the sugar and the canned malt do I add the pellet hops? I'm going to take a can that makes 6 gallons and split it into two 3 gallon batches. I'm going to try to add canned pumpkin to one and just make a regular ale out of the other and ferment both at once.

I drink therefore I am.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 39

As a rule of thumb, bittering hops should be boiled for 60 minutes, flavor hops for about 10 - 20 minutes, and aroma hops for 5 minutes or less.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:22 AM   #3
Fj3fury
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thank you sir.

I drink therefore I am.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:23 AM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 808 Times on 672 Posts

If you want to really move beyond the kit thing, instead of "adding sugar", use dried malt extract (aka "DME"). You'll appreciate the improvement.

Also, if the can of malt is hopped, you don't want to boil that for much more than 5-10 minutes, lest you remove its hop content from the aroma (first to go) and flavor (next to go) characters.

If you go with both the above suggestions, start your boil with the full amount of water for your batch size, plus the DME. Get it boiling then add some of the Cascades and boil for 10-15 minutes, then add the canned malt and the rest of the Cascades and boil for another 10 minutes, then start the cool down towards pitching temperature...

Cheers!

Old 08-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1464 Posts
Likes Given: 1136

Under no circumstances EVER boil hopped malt extract at all. not for any time whatsoever! They are not designed for that. Boil the water,Add half the bag of DME (if you use a 3lb bag like I do),& do your hop additions. 30 minutes or less are flavor additions,the last 5 minutes or so for aroma. I do all my ales this way,since the LME cans I use have bittering only. After hop additions are done,add remaining DME,then the LME can. Stir till no more LME can be scraped off the bottom of the kettle. Cover & let steep 15 minutes while you sanitize the fermenter,get out the ice bag,etc.
Then chill it down to pitch temp as quickly as possible. The faster it chills,the more proteins settle out,& the less chill haze you get later.

Quick Reply