Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What's the trick for whirlpool...I can't seem to get it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 04:33 AM   #11
Bricks41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My opinion is if you don't get the perfect little cone, so what? With even a mediocre whirlpool, you put the siphon in one corner and let it flow. The amount of trub you will ultimately get is substantially less vs. not whirlpooling.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #12
JMan551
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

That's just it...when I siphon down, the last few inches seem to just be a sludgy mixed up mess. I'm not really seeing solid matter resting on the bottom. It's almost milky, and tends to sit on the bottom in a inch or two layer across the whole bottom. This leaves me with either sucking up a good amount of trub or leaving a desirable amount left in the kettle.

I'm still working out the process on my equipment...I need to adjust to end up with more wort, fine tune my boil (to account for a consistent boil off), figure out how to raise efficiency, etc...and part of that figuring out how others get that nice trub pyramid!

JER

Old 10-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 458 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Measure how much that trubby mess is. Then adjust to get that much more wort. Then, when you're done siphoning the wort, dump the trubby mess out into a mason jar or whatever and throw it in the fridge. All the crap will settle out, and you can use the good stuff for starter wort. That way youre not wasting the stuff you worked hard on all day.

Mikeysab on untappd.
People Like This 
Old 10-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I gave up on whirlpooling with a spoon too. I don't have a pump setup so I can't comment on that technique. I have found that just letting my kettle sit for 1/2 hr works just as well

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
Bricks41
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

On my last batch, I stirred and stirred until i had a pretty good vortex going... kept that up until it felt like my arm was going to fall off. Let it sit for 30 mintues covered and put the siphon in one corner and let it go. It sucked up what was in that corner but I left it alone. This is what was I got in the carboy. This is even after a week in primary. Now Im not sure about the 1-2 inches of stuff at the bottom of the kettle. I had a mound built up but the sides were noticeably clearer. I'm brewing a large beer tomorrow and will try documenting it better. Note: I also used hop sacks so it helped minimize hop residue.

forumrunner_20121005_114856.png

Old 10-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
AndyL0000
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Jman,

I created an account just to answer your question. For years I struggled with the same exact problem and last Friday I did my 1st batch with my new pump from Bobby at Brewhardware and the immersion chiller I have from More Beer that has the re-circulation arm. Low and behold I now have the perfect trub cone you are looking for. As a side note I use Irish Moss.

Andy

Old 10-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #17
JMan551
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Well, I have to give you mad thanks for going through the trouble! I'm extremely pleased to hear about your results. Your set up is exactly where my goal is set. I'm glad to hear it works. How fast do you whirl? For how long? How long do you let it rest after whirlpool before draining?

Thanks again!
Jer

Old 10-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #18
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 275

I ferment in a bucket and use this paint strainer given to me by the pro that painted my house. I'm sure you can find some at a paint supply shop. It's made to fit the 5 or 6.5 gal buckets

paintstrainer.jpg   47.jpg  

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
AndyL0000
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMan551 View Post
Well, I have to give you mad thanks for going through the trouble! I'm extremely pleased to hear about your results. Your set up is exactly where my goal is set. I'm glad to hear it works. How fast do you whirl? For how long? How long do you let it rest after whirlpool before draining?

Thanks again!
Jer
Not a problem and no trouble, I should have done it sooner just never had anything I felt I could add until now.

I have the valve on my outlet of the chugger pump full open and run the pump for the last 15 minutes of my boil to sanitize then the entire cooling process. From the time I shut the pump off to the time I was ready to fill the fermenter was probably about 20 minutes. Since I used my typical calculation to figure out how much I was going to have to leave behind I easily had an extra gallon due to the perfect cone left behind.

I ended up saving the extra wort to can for yeast starters. I was able to drain my brew pot until it stopped flowing and even tipped it and got another quart of crystal clear wort, definitely very happy with it.

Andy

Old 10-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #20
Boy
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

I've never gotten a cone but I still whirlpool and let it sit for 30min. I use a big whisk with a ball inside for stirring. I figure if nothing else I am at least oxygenating the wort.

Quick Reply