The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What's the trick for whirlpool...I can't seem to get it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
JMan551
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default What's the trick for whirlpool...I can't seem to get it!

I do not have a pump, but have always attempted a spin driven whirlpool. I have NEVER come even CLOSE to having a nice pyramid of trub. Every time i've drained i've ended up with a very liquidy layer of crap on the bottom that just shoots up the cane or out the valve. I've whirled fast, whirled slow, tried draining while spinning, tried draining after 15mins, and tried draining after 30+mins.

What's the trick? I would like to get a pump and a return so that I may whirl pool for late additions, keep the wort flowing across my IC, and finally to make my trub pile so that I may extract the optimum amount of wort. But it almost all seems for not if I can't ever get a pyramid.

JER

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 26 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Try whirfloc, and let it sit for a half hour or more. I got so frustrated, I dont even bother anymore. Put a fine mesh bag in my bucket, and pour everything in. the bag filters everything out.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
worksnorth
Worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Lol yup sorry to say I gave up on whirl pooling too, started using a racking cane. I also use two paint strainers over the end of the cane.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Use a kettle fining like Irish Moss and Whirlflock and let things rest for around 20 minutes after whirlpooling. That will give things time to settle in to the center of the kettle.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 09-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
O'Haggerty
Recipes 

Just be aware that letting things "rest" in the kettle post boil will increase isomerization (bitterness) from flame out/late addition aroma hops. It's always best to chill asap and potentially pump through a filter/strainer into the FV. It won't kill a beer by any means, but brewers looking for a specific IBU result should drop bitter wort below 180F asap.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
cyraxx
Recipes 

I have the same problem as well. I chill, pull out my IC, and then stir the **** out of it before putting the lid on and letting it rest for ~30min. Still don't get that nice cone that I've seen.

I think my next move might be towards a hop spider, so I can keep the hop bits out at least.

I'm using a 15 gallon Blichmann Boilermaker if that makes any difference. Would love some advice.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

One easy thing to do is transfer your cooled wort to a bucket for settling. Let the bucket sit for 30-60 minutes. The trub and hops should settle significantly. Then rack to your fermentation vessel, oxygenate and add yeast. I've almost given up on filter the trub from my wort. I just run the cooled wort from my kettle and stop running when it gets to the bottom of the kettle full of trub. Also, I use a hops spider, so I don't have a problem with hop matter. The trub that gets into the fermentor hasn't hurt the flavor of any of my beers, so I don't worry about. It just makes rinsing and saving yeast more difficult.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
hunter_la5
Recipes 

Liked 462 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1266

I just use Irish moss, whirlpool for about 5 minutes, and then use a racking cane with a strainer on the end. Almost no trub or hop material makes it into the fermenter, I don't even have to do a cold break anymore.

1. Brazos Bock,
2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB

Old 09-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You are not trying to whirlpool with an IC or something else that would block/change flow in the kettle are you? I use a pump to recirc back to the kettle while cooling and this is the normal trub and hop pile I get after about 15 minutes and a whirlfloc tablet.

I'm not sure why whirlpooling wouldn't work for you unless you aren't getting a good hot break and not using irish moss/whirlfloc, or something is obstructing the directional flow of the wort.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #10
JMan551
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I can't say whether or not i'm getting a good hot break...I don't see any difference over the past couple of years. I do use a whirlfloc tab at between 10 and 15 mins, and unless specifically attempting a whirlpool addition I immediately turn on the water through the IC. I'll try and keep some circulation going on at first to keep the wort flowing over the coils, but let it sit after awhile. I believe I have done both whirlpool with and without the IC in the wort. Again, I do not have a pump yet, so this is all hand twirlled.

Do you all whirlpool fast? Or take it slowwww? Does there need to be a physical whirl going on, or a barely noticible current? Without applying any fluid dynamics (because I dropped out of engineering school before that class), it would appear that I would need to maintain a whirlpool for the trub to settle in the middle. If I whirl and then let it stop, I feel like the trub would just settle wherever.

JER

Quick Reply