Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What's the secret to clearer beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
illinibrew04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What's the secret to clearer beer?

I have 6 AG batches under my belt now, and I am happy to say that they all actually turned out to be "good beer". There's always room for improvement though, and I was wondering what the most important factors for getting clearer beer are. Since my last batch I have added an immersion chiller to try to get more of a cold break. I use a keggle to boil in and try to secondary for two weeks. What are the best things I can do to make clearer beer? Is it bad to let the hot/cold break go into the primary? I use one of the pvc collar/hopfilters which filters my hops pretty well, but the hot and cold break still gets into the primary. I would assume this will fall to the bottom eventually, but I'm really just a noob so I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks for your help! Oh, also of note, I've been able to decrease my fermentation temp. to around 67-68 now as well. I don't know if this aids in clarity but I'm expecting a difference in taste.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
Iechyd Da
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

What I have done that has made the biggest improvement in the clarity of my beer has been cold crashing. About 2-3 days before I keg, I put the carboy into my chest freezer at set the temp at 34 degrees. This makes my Blonde Ale crystal clear.

Kegged & Drinking: Abbess Blonde, Irish Red, American Amber, Apfelwein, Liberty Pale, Belgian Wit, Barleywine

Upcoming: Black Pepper Pale Ale, Bleached Blonde Ale

Old 07-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Do you use any additives like Irish moss? Another good option is gelatin, it will do an amazing job clearing up a beer.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
illinibrew04
Recipes 

I do currently use irish moss last 15 min. of the boil. I haven't tried gelatin yet. I wish I could cold crash my beer, but I just don't have enough room right now in my apartment. Someday I hope to be able to get a good chest freezer.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4663 Times on 3387 Posts
Likes Given: 917

I swear by whilfloc, one tablet per 5 gallons, in the last 10 minutes of the boil. I have never used any clarifiers and have crystal clear beer. Another thing of course is a good cold break. Not just a little, but get your wort from boiling to under 90 degrees ASAP (like in 10 minutes) and tons of proteins will just congeal and fall right out, in the form of cold break, especially with the whirlfloc. It really doesn't matter if the hot break or cold break make it into the fermenter or are filtered out- it'll just settle in the trub anyway. Here's some better explanations of that: http://www.beer-brewing.com/apex/wor..._formation.htm

Old 07-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinibrew04 View Post
I do currently use irish moss last 15 min. of the boil. I haven't tried gelatin yet. I wish I could cold crash my beer, but I just don't have enough room right now in my apartment. Someday I hope to be able to get a good chest freezer.
You don't need a chest freezer. Just get one of those big rubbermaid containers from Lowes, put your carboy/bucket in it, fill it with enough water that it rises at least halfway up the level of the beer, then cycle in frozen plastic bottles of water. My basement is 70F right now, but with my chiller, I can easily keep a batch at 50F using this technique.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I swear by whilfloc
+ 1 Whirlfloc is MUCH better than standard Irish Moss. I was amazed at the difference in my beers. Yes - it is more expensive but once my bottle of Irish Moss is gone I will never use it again.

+ 1 on the cold crashing but use isinglass before that. No additive (in my minimal experience) will do a great job getting chill haze out of beer unless you get it to form by chilling the beer first.

- JVD_X

Old 07-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
illinibrew04
Recipes 

Awesome, Thanks for all the great ideas guys. I'm definitely gonna try the whirlfloc tablets and the big container filled with water. I actually thought about getting one of these for fermentation purposes. Keeping the carboy in the container of course...not fermenting the beer in the container.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

isinglass and gelatin work well but you should keep in mind that they are not vegetarian, and if you use them you should tell people that animal products went into the beer. good alternatives are polyclar - I used it in my last kolsch and its crystal clear. and sparkolloid which I havent tried in any beers yet but its amazing in mead, its instructions say to add it and let it settle for 2 weeks but most things are crystal in around three days.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1029 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 28

+1 on putting the carboy in a rubbermaid tub with ice two or more days before racking out. Even better, get it up high so that you can rack without moving the carboy afterwards.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply