Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What's the point of a hop "flavor addition" in an IPA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default What's the point of a hop "flavor addition" in an IPA?

Does a traditional "flavor addition" (like at 10-20 minutes) actually give you more flavor than an "aroma addition" (like 5-flameout) or is the "flavor addition" just giving you less aroma because more of the most volatile essential oils are being boiled off but the more stable flavor compounds are sticking around? If you're just getting less aroma but the same amount of flavor (or actually less flavor because the more stable flavor compounds are still being boiled off, just more slowly) then what's the point of doing any flavor/aroma addition before flameout in a beer like an IPA? Does boiling the hops for 10-20 minutes enhance the flavor in some way? It seems like to maximize the flavor and aroma you would add only at flameout. Am I missing something? What do you all think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
CPT_Merica
Recipes 

I've often wondered the same. Looking forward to someone smarter than me enlightening us.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Kinsman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah, I'm gonna sit and watch too.

My feeling is that ten minutes is going to have the same effect as flameout.

Schreckendgust Field
Florence, MT

Old 08-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
billl
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 7

" Am I missing something?"

Yeah, a couple hundred years of brewers experimenting with their hop addition timing and seeing what tastes best. The flavor and aroma compounds produced in the kettle aren't particularly well understood from a scientific standpoint, but there is a long history of practical experience with the flavor profiles.

Of course, everyone has different tastes, so feel free to drop those additions and see if you like it better.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

I think there is a definite difference in an IPA that has 60/15/0 hops vs 60/0.

I like them both, but it seems like the 15-20 minute hops give another dimension of depth and flavor not present with all bittering and aroma hops.

Hops isomerization and utilization isn't understood perfectly even by scientists- so I don't have a good explanation, except for the alpha acids isomerizing more at the 15 minute addition that at flame out.

For many IPAs, I do even more additions and do 60/15/10/5/0/dryhop and I think there is a great depth of hops flavor and aroma in those beers. Of course, I've never done the exact same beer with 60/0/dryhop so I can't say that it would be markedly different if you compared them head-to-head although my gut says they would.

People Like This 
Old 08-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1588 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 2881

The point of "Flavor"?

hmmmm........AHA!!!

I prescribe one Bell's TWO HEARTED ALE!!!!

NOW.

OH hell. You have tasted sierra nevada? Tons of hop "Flavor".

Bittering additions are just that. BITTER, no real flavor.

"Thanks but when should I put employees in? This is my first time trying to add a flavor like this to a beer so I'm kinda clueless...."

-EMPLOYEE FLAVORED BEER........

(my new hero....) pbohanna

Old 08-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
DrewschBag
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

In absence of experience, experiments!

Old 08-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
jhall4
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Debatable...

However, the point still stands - you're going to get different contributions by adding hops at different times.

an interesting experiment would be to make an IPA 3 ways:
60-15-0
60-15
60-0
Should give you a good example of what you get with everything together, and then the contributions of just flavor hopping and just aroma hopping...

Old 08-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
" Am I missing something?"

Yeah, a couple hundred years of brewers experimenting with their hop addition timing and seeing what tastes best. The flavor and aroma compounds produced in the kettle aren't particularly well understood from a scientific standpoint, but there is a long history of practical experience with the flavor profiles.

Of course, everyone has different tastes, so feel free to drop those additions and see if you like it better.
I get the point of flavor additions in other styles where you want a bit of flavor and maybe some aroma or no aroma. But I'm talking about the relatively recent styles (relative to the hundreds of years of beer history) like American IPA where you're looking to maximize flavor and aroma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I think there is a definite difference in an IPA that has 60/15/0 hops vs 60/0.

I like them both, but it seems like the 15-20 minute hops give another dimension of depth and flavor not present with all bittering and aroma hops.

Hops isomerization and utilization isn't understood perfectly even by scientists- so I don't have a good explanation, except for the alpha acids isomerizing more at the 15 minute addition that at flame out.

For many IPAs, I do even more additions and do 60/15/10/5/0/dryhop and I think there is a great depth of hops flavor and aroma in those beers. Of course, I've never done the exact same beer with 60/0/dryhop so I can't say that it would be markedly different if you compared them head-to-head although my gut says they would.
Yeah I guess there could be a different depth of flavors, but just thinking about it, it seems like if you combined all of those additions into one flameout addition you would get even more flavor and a lot more aroma from the same amount of hops. I've never brewed a beer with only 60/0/dryhop either though, which is why I was asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
The point of "Flavor"?

hmmmm........AHA!!!

I prescribe one Bell's TWO HEARTED ALE!!!!

NOW.

OH hell. You have tasted sierra nevada? Tons of hop "Flavor".

That's not what I'm asking at all. I guess you only read the title? I wouldn't mind taking you up on the Two Hearted though!

Old 08-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterj View Post

Yeah I guess there could be a different depth of flavors, but just thinking about it, it seems like if you combined all of those additions into one flameout addition you would get even more flavor and a lot more aroma from the same amount of hops. I've never brewed a beer with only 60/0/dryhop either though, which is why I was asking.
But boiling changes the hops oils- that's the whole point of a 15 minute addition. It means that they are not fully isomerized, but partially, and it changes the way they are in the wort and in the final beer. They are not the same as a 0 minute hop addition- that is the point.
Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 

Quick Reply