Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > whats needed to step up to 10 gallon batches ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 01:23 AM   #1
kappclark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default whats needed to step up to 10 gallon batches ?

I would like to go to 10 gallon batches, maybe in the Spring.

I figure I will need some bigger kettles, a better chiller, and a bigger buner (right now - 55K

any suggestions ? Don't want to spend thousands to do this (!) Hundreds would be better ..want to goto kegging as well (bottling that much is out of the question !

I think I would continus to ferment in buckets (although the stainless fermenter would be cool, but a dream.

Any comments appreciated..

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I stepped up to 10 gallon batches with a bigger burner and Sanke keggles. I still ferment in Buckets.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:38 AM   #3
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Edwort - can u recommend where to get the sanke keggles and the bigger burner ?

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 02-16-2008, 01:51 AM   #4
kenche
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just started doing AG batches, and my first batch was 10 gallons.

All that I bought for this was a keggle from Sabco ($99 + shipping), a shirron plate chiller from morebeer ($89), and a banjo burner from grape and granary ($70).

I already had a large cooler kicking around the house so I swapped the stainless steel braid from a smaller cooler into that one.

I am still fermenting in two pales, and often like pitching different yeasts to see the results.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:06 AM   #5
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That is great news ... I have a bigger cooler which I can convert (Thank You Flyguy) ... I already have a 5 gallon, but parts are so cheap, I will convert the bigger one as well...

This is so much less expensive than I imagined ... do I need any pumps to move all this stuff ? The regular keggles don't have a valve, so I have to siphon or pump when cooled ...

comments ?

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 02-16-2008, 02:32 AM   #6
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 500 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You certainly don't need a pump! IMO a pump is a "luxery" item. I like simple brewing methods that "work for me". You can do 10 gallons easily by splitting the volumes into easily liftable quantities. A five gallon bucket w/ a hose shoved thru a hole in the side/bottom (bottling bucket) is a simple five gallon pump. Lots of people do large batches w/out a pump by either a tierred system or lifting partial amounts as they brew.

I'm not at all trying to discourage you from incorporating a pump...some people use pumps...some don't. In theory you could collect a hundred gallons of wort by lifting five gallons twenty times. Sure a pump would be easier...but the forearms and gravity will also work! Siphoning out of a keggle will work fine as well...again a little more labor but the choice is yours.

I would get a kegging system in place prior to ten gallon batches!! IMO kegging is perhaps the biggest labor saver as well as a means to improve quality!! Nothing beats cold conditioning and clear perfectly carbed pours.

Mike

Old 02-16-2008, 02:38 AM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 100

What are you using for a burner? I swear that little patio stove I bought at Depot for $45 has more than enough ooomph to handle 10 gallons. It does seven gallons without blinking.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:23 AM   #8
kenche
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark
The regular keggles don't have a valve, so I have to siphon or pump when cooled ...
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. For the first batch, I just siphoned out of the keggle but wasn't too thrilled with the process. I have since purchased a weldless ball valve from morebeer (35$). I also had to purchase a 7/8" hole saw from HD ($12) to install it.)

I would also agree with the previous comment regarding kegging. With 10 gallon batches it becomes more than just a convenience, it is nearly a requirement.

I am sure there are those that do it, but you would never find me bottling 10 gallons of beer.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #9
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 289 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I ferment in these if I'm doing a 10+ gallon batch. I have a few of them that I keep around for moving wine from container to container. A 10 gallon batch goes just over 1/2 way up. You can have the wildest Hefe ferment in the world going and not worry about a blow over.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Plastic-20-Gallo...QQcmdZViewItem

PTN

Old 02-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

For tose 20 gallon containers - is there a plm with the headspace ? That won't affect fermentation rate - right ?

If I went with that solution, I would need some kind of hand-truck to move the beer inside after transferring to the fermenter .. (I would brew outside on the porch) .. glad to see they are food grade ! Do you bother to put any kind of airlock in the lid ?

Bird - my burner is a 55K Bayou classic (the same one you got at Depot)

I am not a welder and I won't be able to drill holes in keggles ... are the keggles available with a valve ?

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Quick Reply