Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What's the hardest part of homebrewing?
View Poll Results: Hardest part of homebrewing
Recipe creation 3 3.33%
The boil 2 2.22%
Racking 1 1.11%
Cleaning up 16 17.78%
Bottling 8 8.89%
Sanitizing 16 17.78%
Priming 2 2.22%
Temperature control 3 3.33%
Sparging / Mashing 0 0%
Waiting patiently ffor it to finish 39 43.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2005, 08:02 PM   #21
Windaria
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I don't understand the whole "waiting is the hardest part" thing... if you have a problem waiting then just brew more, brew more often. If you do it enough wouldn't that eventually yield enough that you couldn't drink it in time, at which point it would be easier to wait for it just because you have to go through so much other stuff to get to it?

And as for bottling... do people really use those tiny little beer bottles? I figure it won't be that bad for me only because I will be using wine bottles for what I have been making... and that way there are only 5 per gallon. But if I ever did a beer (and I do want to), I would use 1 pint bottles at the least, only to make sure that I don't have 150 little bottles to figure out per batch. That would suck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2005, 08:14 PM   #22
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windaria
And as for bottling... do people really use those tiny little beer bottles? I figure it won't be that bad for me only because I will be using wine bottles for what I have been making... and that way there are only 5 per gallon. But if I ever did a beer (and I do want to), I would use 1 pint bottles at the least, only to make sure that I don't have 150 little bottles to figure out per batch. That would suck.
Sure.. people use them all the time. They are the easiest to come by if you are in the business of re-using bottles from commercial beer.

As for using wine bottles.... I don't have a corker, so capping recycled beer and champagne bottles works best for me.

As for organizing; you can use different colored caps for each batch, or put a sharpie mark on the cap or (what I do) keep them in big boxes to prevent them from getting mixed up.

However, right now I have three distinct shades of beer bottled, and I can tell which is which by holding them up to the light; lots of light through = IPA, some red-tinted light through = porter, utter blackness = stout.

-walker

Old 10-24-2005, 08:17 PM   #23
Windaria
Recipes 

Hrm... I've just been figuring that by the time I finally get my stuff into a secondary, then actually bottle it I should be working again, at which point I'll probably be buying $100 or so of bottles. I'd use reused ones, but I am not sure where to get them for cheap, and you can buy them for nearly $1 a bottle.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:19 PM   #24
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
and you can buy them for nearly $1 a bottle.
what size/type are you talking about here?

-walker

Old 10-24-2005, 08:44 PM   #25
Windaria
Recipes 

Standard 750 ml wine bottles. I mean it isn't quite $1 a bottle, the guy at the local hbs sells a case of 12 for $14, but you also get the box to pack them in. <shrugs>

The guy at the other hbs sells them for about $13.50 or so, so either way, it isn't too bad. Unless there is a way to get bottles for less.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:53 PM   #26
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I'm doing my best to drink all the beer I can to get the bottles, I gave up after 12 Grolsch, it sucks! It's not worth it even for the bottle!
I've bought 12 750ml Amber flippies Today for £13.

When I bottle I'm doing 1 plastic so I can check on carbonation with out opening. 4 12oz bottles for checking at weekly intervals (wich I get from drinking Leffe)and then the rest in 500ml and 750ml.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:17 PM   #27
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Standard wine bottle glass is VERY thin compared to either beer or champagne bottles. BE CAREFUL. A little bit of excess carbonation (i know you didn't mention priming but it can happen on it's own) and you could have a problem with glass bombs!

Old 10-24-2005, 09:22 PM   #28
justbrewit
Zythos Conisseur

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i put sanitizing. but i put that because i used to use bleach to sanitize every thing and doing bottles really sucked!!! i did 2 batches of beer in one day and i'm tellin ya, it took 8 hours to do all the bottles!!!

2.5 gal cantalope mead
5.5 gal coconut milk mead

Old 10-24-2005, 09:52 PM   #29
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 173

I voted waiting, but as someone else said if you have a big enough stock that's not that big of a deal anymore but if you let the stock slip this goes high on the list again. I'd recant that vote if I could. I'd also say bottling but after just starting to keg (one thus far) I can't say bottles anymore. Wait, yea I can; it sucks! 10-15 minutes to get it in a keg is now my favorite thing to do! I may have to go with clean-up now...

Old 10-24-2005, 10:37 PM   #30
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
... For some reason I love fly sparging, though.
Thats because its easy and fun!
Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Quick Reply