New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What's the best way to pitch liquid yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
andylegate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What's the best way to pitch liquid yeast?

Hey guys!

Just got all my ingredients to do Merlin's Ale, a receipe that I got from my Beer book. It looks like a nice light ale to guzzle without getting too slammed like most of my other batches would do to you if you did. Here's the ingredients:

Gain Bill:
4 oz British 55L Crystal
1 oz Peated Malt
1/2 oz British Roasted Barley

Malts:
5 lbs Extra Light DME

3 oz Malto Dextrin

Hops:
1/2 oz Styrian
1/4 oz Target
3/4 oz Kent Goldings

Yeast: Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

What is the best way to pitch this liquid yeast that you guys have found? All that I have used so far is Safale US-56, which is a dry yeast that you simply open and sprinkle into the wort once it has cooled down to 72 F or so. The US-56 has done me great and has never failed. It fermented very fast in most cases, and lead to some high ABV's in my beers. So this will be my first attempt at using a liquid yeast.
According to the info I have, Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale has a high flocculation.
Just wanted some advice here before I go and make the batch (I've got to get some bottles freed up anyways too! ).

Bottled and Waiting:
Cherry Wheat Ale #2
Ready to Drink:

Pumpkin Spice Ale
Cheesefood's Carmel Cream Ale
Chocolate Cherry Ale

Planned Batches:
Maple Ale
Past Batches:
Brewnet Brown
American Pilsner
Cherry Wheat Ale #1
Honey Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
Wolf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What's the best way to pitch liquid yeast?
Print the instructions on the bottom. HAHAHAHa.
Ok, that was lame.
Anyway, you can pitch liquid yeast the same way you do with your dry yeast, but it's never a bad idea to make a starter first. I don't usually do that when I use liquid (thought I should), but always do when I use dry yeast.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Make a starter.

Make a starter.

Make a freaking starter!

I cannot stress this enough. I used to be one of those "it doesn't say anything about a starter on the package" guys. But after witnessing a painful THREE DAY lag time with my Dubbel, I'm a true convert...and now I walk the earth spreading the Good Word. Make a starter, and the starter shall set you free.

Seriously, for the small amount of work that goes into making a starter, you get huge returns on your investment. Minuscule lag time, vigorous fermentation. My suggestion is to make a big starter---at least 1 liter---I use sanitized empty gallon water jugs. Smack your pack a day prior to making the starter to make sure it's viable. When it's swollen, pitch into the starter. Cap it with an airlock or sanitized tinfoil, roughly 8-18 hours prior to pitching. Then pitch the entire starter directly onto cooled wort. You'll thank yourself for this.

And if you really want a great fermentation, get yerself a $30 aeration kit too.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Senor Cardgage says,

"Make a starter, and get a leg up on the pile!"

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-16-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's why I haven't jumped ship to liquid yeast, just not mentally ready for it yet. It's really hard to beat the simplicity of dry yeast. I mean, is there really that big of a difference between the two given the same brew???

Old 11-16-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another vote for making a starter! Big starters equal fast fermentation starts (and cleaner beers)!

Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

Old 11-16-2006, 01:21 PM   #7
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
That's why I haven't jumped ship to liquid yeast, just not mentally ready for it yet. It's really hard to beat the simplicity of dry yeast. I mean, is there really that big of a difference between the two given the same brew???
It's been a while since I did the dry yeast thing, but isn't there a larger selection of liquid yeasts than dry?
Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

Old 11-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
I'm on this bandwagon just as much as the starter bandwagon, Grogman. When I moved to liquid yeasts, which allows you get yeasts that are specific to the particular style you're brewing, my beers improved immensely. The character and complexity of liquid yeast is simply impossible to get from dry. I still use dry once in awhile---if I don't have time to make a starter, and then, only if it's a stout/porter where the malt character will probably outshine the yeast character anyway. Otherwise, liquid is THE way to go.

Yes, you will notice a big difference---hefeweizens especially---and believe me, there's no need to be "mentally ready". The only reason I waited so long was because I was afraid to mail order liquid yeasts during the summer (I have no LHBS). for fear of the heat. Other than that---like I said, starters are very, very easy to make. If you've made priming wort at bottling before, then you've made a starter. Just boil some DME/LME in water for 15 mins, then cool it and add the yeast. It's not rocket science.

Yes, yes, switch to liquid, you will see a difference...as much of a difference as you would see by switching from extract to partial mash.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 11-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Make a starter.

Make a starter.

Make a freaking starter!
Hit the nail on the head there. Listen to him, he speaks the truth

Old 11-16-2006, 09:51 PM   #10
Jim Karr

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Boy, what a thread! "Smack your pack" and "When it gets swollen". Sounds like more than brewing going on here.......................

As for me and my household, we shall serve the Lord. Joshua

"God is great, beer is good, people are crazy." Some country artist

Quick Reply