Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What's the best way to dry hop???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
techbrewie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

put the hops in the beer...

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

As already stated: add loose hops to the fermentor, allow 7 days of contact time and siphon off the beer with some mesh rubber-banded over the end of your racking cane/tubing. Easy as it gets.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 02-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
BigRedHopHead
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I dry hop in keg too. Pellet hops in muslin bag, tie knot at top of bag. Tie another knot with teflon tape around the muslin bag knot. Measure about 6-8 inches of the teflon tape and tear. Drop bag in the keg and leave an inch of the tape outside the lid. Put lid on, the teflon tape will full compress against the lid o-ring and the SS.

Sometimes I drop a few sanitized marbles in to weigh the bag down in the keg. I have left the keg at room temp for dry hopping this way. I have also put the keg in the kegerator to chill and left hops in there for 2-3 weeks without any ill effects. My best IPA's have come from room temp dry hopping.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #14
Brew-ta-sauraus
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCS View Post
I dry hop in kegs and wrap the hops in cheesecloth, works great, easy to remove. Hell sometimes, I'll just leave the hops in the keg and force carb it with the hops still in it. Some people say not to leave the hops in that long...I say "screw the naysayers". My 2 cents anyway.

Cheers
I dry hop in the keg as well I use a womans nylon stocking (the knee high ones). My wife bought me a pack of them for cheap. I add the hops either pellett of leaf add a stainless fitting thats heavy enough to weigh it down so it sinks. I then carb up the keg and drink. Kegs never last long enough around my house to get any bad flavor from the dry hops in the keg.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #15
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-ta-sauraus View Post
I dry hop in the keg as well I use a womans nylon stocking (the knee high ones). My wife bought me a pack of them for cheap. I add the hops either pellett of leaf add a stainless fitting thats heavy enough to weigh it down so it sinks. I then carb up the keg and drink. Kegs never last long enough around my house to get any bad flavor from the dry hops in the keg.
Ditto but i bought a muslin bag.

Ive even left hops at the bottom for a month and never had any off flavor issues.

Another thing you can do though that i plan to do is to jb weld a small stainless hook to the inside of my keg lids, so that you can hang a nylon/muslin bag with hops on it and still get them out easily. Its non toxic once its cured, and your beer shouldnt be touching the inside of the keg lid anyways ...

Old 02-10-2013, 01:47 AM   #16
nDub
Recipes 

Likes Given: 15

I dry hop using whole hops in the keg that I'm drinking from. I use a muslim bag and I put in hops and a SS nut to weigh it down. I used to use non waxed and non flavored dental floss to tie it off but lately I don't bother, just let it float in there. I also used to take the bag out after two weeks but my last keg went a month with the hops in there and no ill effect. In fact it kept the hop aroma longer. I've never used pellet in the keg and I assume it would plug the tube so that'd be a good reason to tie it off. I did try "hop tea" once with pellet hops and poured the tea into the keg but the aroma/taste didn't last very long. I've also dry hopped in the fermenter and to me the hop taste/aroma was stronger but dissipated quicker than in the keg. Anyway that's my antidotal advice.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:28 AM   #17
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

My usual IPA routine is to dry hop in a weighted bag (marbles) and add more hops every other day times 4. Though I have a temp controlled conical, I end up using buckets more often and sometimes up to 3 months with no ill effects...

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 02-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
homebrewbeliever
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze

Ditto but i bought a muslin bag.

Ive even left hops at the bottom for a month and never had any off flavor issues.

Another thing you can do though that i plan to do is to jb weld a small stainless hook to the inside of my keg lids, so that you can hang a nylon/muslin bag with hops on it and still get them out easily. Its non toxic once its cured, and your beer shouldnt be touching the inside of the keg lid anyways ...
Hey, now that's a pretty good idea!

For eclectic escapades in home-brewed deliciousness:
http://homebrewbeliever.blogspot.com

Old 02-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #19
homebrewbeliever
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsk
My usual IPA routine is to dry hop in a weighted bag (marbles) and add more hops every other day times 4. Though I have a temp controlled conical, I end up using buckets more often and sometimes up to 3 months with no ill effects...
Wow, that's good to hear. I would really like to use buckets more often for dry hopping, as it is SOOOO much easier. I know a few other brewers that use their buckets for extended periods of time without any oxidation issues, but I honestly wanted to see how many people on HBT do the same.

For eclectic escapades in home-brewed deliciousness:
http://homebrewbeliever.blogspot.com

Old 02-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #20
VampireSix
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My first dry hopped batch, I put the leaf hops in the primary bucket without a bag. On bottling day, siphoning was a PITA, even with a muslin bag around the end of the auto-siphon. I got a lot of bubbles in the siphon line, which I can only attribute to blockage at the end of the siphon that caused air to be pulled in through the (cheap) poorly sealed auto siphon.

Also, these bottles have a lot of sediment on the bottom of them, and my 5 gallon batch resulted in only 40 bottles (3.75 gallons worth).

I just brewed another IPA which will be ready for dry hop in 2-3 weeks, so I'm trying to figure out what to do differently for next time. My current thought is put the hops in a bag (don't know if I should weigh it down or not), and then remove and squeeze out the bag before racking to the bottling bucket.

Quick Reply