Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What are your unique brewing processes that make a difference?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #31
grndslm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Let's see......

In terms of BOTTLING --
(1) I rack 1/3 to 1/4 the beer into the bottling bucket, then I add priming sugar solution, finish topping off with beer... and then I use the siphon to stir the beer w/ priming solution. Not enough to cause splashing, but enough to evenly disperse priming solution.
(2) I only use brown, 22 oz bottles. I've tried the rest, but I think the 22 oz bottles are optimum for bottle conditioning due to their volume, and especially that they're not the color of a Corona or Heineken bottle!!! (I am in the process of trying 24oz & 32oz Powerade bottles. Don't know if they'll seal like the Oceanspray bottles did, but if they do... it will be nice to bring to pools or beaches.

In terms of BREWING --
(1) I just picked this up from somebody here, but I boil for 60 minutes... but the first 20 minutes is just boiling to remove oxygen?? (sounded good to me, plus I prefer to hop burst). Then I do hop additions at 40, 30, 20, 10, and 1 minute.
(2) Since I'm only extract brewing, I have now decided to add the extract IMMEDIATELY after removing the hop brew from the burner. Mix in well, and it will be as light of a color as possible... but after fermentation, it will get a bit more brown, compared to its original yellowish color. (can't wait to try that one!! will be bottling it next week!)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #32
grndslm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I also might start swirling the carboy around for a minute or so after racking from primary to secondary.

I have tested turning 3 or 4 bottles upside down from one of my batches, so we'll see how that turns out next month.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply