Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What Temp for Lagering?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2006, 03:16 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What Temp for Lagering?

I asked this once before and got no replies. Here goes again:

I made a honey-ginger winter warmer using lager, ale and hefe yeasts. Fermented around 58-60F, and fermentation went very well. 095->025. I could see the lager and ale yeasts both working. Anyway, over the weekend, I purchased a new chest freezer and a temp regulator . Since it's got lager AND ale yeasts, is it okay that I'm lagering it at mid-to-upper-thirties? Also, how long would you recommend lagering in secondary? I'd like to do a true lager soon, now that I actually have the lagerator, so I'm wondering how long it will be occupado. Thanks!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
nosnhojr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
I made a honey-ginger winter warmer using lager, ale and hefe yeasts.
I've never heard of using multiple yeast strains in a single beer. Have you tried this before? Where did you get the idea? Sounds interesting.

As for fermentation temperature, is there any intersection between the recommended ranges for the specific yeasts you're using? Perhaps post the specific yeasts you're using and see whether anyone here has experience using them outside their recommended temp ranges.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
Mikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think the problem is that you're doing something that no one here has done before and you want someone to answer your questions of how to do it.

If you want to do a real lager, the ideal temp for lagering is as close to freezing as you can get, and for as long as you can bear to wait. At least a month.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnhojr
I've never heard of using multiple yeast strains in a single beer. Have you tried this before? Where did you get the idea? Sounds interesting.
It was a weird chain of events. I brewed a belgian dubbel, and pitched a wyeast abbey activator directly onto it. 3 days in, I still had no activity. I had no other liquid yeast that I wanted to use, and I have no LHBS, but I know the brewmaster at a local brewpub, and while he didn't have any belgian strains at the time, he suggested mixing those three and seeing what happens. However, when I returned home that night ready to repitch, the abbey yeasts had decided to get to work. So, rather than let this big mason jar full of cool yeast go to waste, I decided to brew the next week. It was fun to watch it ferment---you could see the lager yeast pushing up from the bottom, and the ale yeast dropping from above, so everything was swirling around like a cauldron .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnhojr
As for fermentation temperature, is there any intersection between the recommended ranges for the specific yeasts you're using? Perhaps post the specific yeasts you're using and see whether anyone here has experience using them outside their recommended temp ranges.
Since I didn't pitch from commercial packaging, I'm not sure. I think he uses mostly WhiteLabs stuff. I'm pretty sure the Ale was the British Ale strain, and maybe the hefe was the German, and the lager was the Bavarian. But I thought that 58-60 was a pretty safe bet for those three.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-30-2006, 04:00 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey
I think the problem is that you're doing something that no one here has done before and you want someone to answer your questions of how to do it.

If you want to do a real lager, the ideal temp for lagering is as close to freezing as you can get, and for as long as you can bear to wait. At least a month.

Well, I was hoping someone had done it. I'll see, I guess. I've never heard of mixing before, but oddly enough, I saw in ProMash where you can specify "Ale", "Lager" or "Ale/Lager Mix", so perhaps it's not as uncommon as I think.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 10-30-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
Focus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default First lager last weekend

I'm certainly no expert, but I'm trying my first true lager right now. I've got a Midwest Oktoberfest kit - kicked up with a couple of extra pounds of DME to ~1.050 OG. I pitched my White Labs Marzen/Oktoberfest yeast at approx 75 deg and threw it in the fridge with the Johnson controller set to 45. Checked one day later and no bubbles (although the rubber grommet airlock fitting is not the tightest seal on earth ) and the temp was hanging around 50 deg.

I don't know if I screwed anything up, but that's what I did. I'll let you know if I never get any bubbling.

Focus

Upcoming Projects: Return to brewing!
The Online Brewery: www.twospooks.com (Recently, and completely renovated. Stop by, sign the guestbook, and leave some feedback!)

Old 10-30-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Rdwhahb!!!

Yeast Will Come Through!

Rdwhahb!!!

Use Three One Or Two!!

Rdwhahb!!!

Old 10-30-2006, 08:58 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus
I'm certainly no expert, but I'm trying my first true lager right now. I've got a Midwest Oktoberfest kit - kicked up with a couple of extra pounds of DME to ~1.050 OG. I pitched my White Labs Marzen/Oktoberfest yeast at approx 75 deg and threw it in the fridge with the Johnson controller set to 45. Checked one day later and no bubbles (although the rubber grommet airlock fitting is not the tightest seal on earth ) and the temp was hanging around 50 deg.

I don't know if I screwed anything up, but that's what I did. I'll let you know if I never get any bubbling.

Focus
Did you make a starter beforehand? Also, there's a bit of a controversy surrounding this subject, but some people wait for signs of fermentation prior to dropping the temp. But I'm certainly no expert on lagers---I just got my lagerator on friday.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 10-31-2006, 12:02 AM   #9
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I would think that he Ale yeast would go dormant pretty quickly at that temp. I would be a little concerned that the dormant ale yeast might hit autolysis before the lager finished its job. I probably would have made it like a California common (full fermentation at ale temps) if it were me.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:26 AM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

dantodd,

You mean during fermentation? Given what I witnessed during fermentation, I'm pretty sure that the ale and lager yeasts were both very active throughout the entire thing. I could actually see it happening. And given that autolysis takes a few months to happen, I'm not worried about that in the least. I hit a good FG, too, so that's promising. At the end of the day, I think the fermentation went well, I'm just wondering what temps to lager at.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Quick Reply