What should I buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
So I just received a $100 gift certificate from the LHBS. I can't figure out what to get. I'd really like to buy a keg set up, but figure that's not enough $$, even though I've already got a CO2 tank. I've also considered getting a bottle tree with one of those handy bottle washers you guys talk about. Then I'd have enough left to pick up a second secondary and some ingredients.

I'm an extract guy who's really happy with the dump a gallon of ice in method of cooling. So a chiller's not really in my future.

What do you all think? Wonder how much more I'd need to get set up kegging? I have a spare fridge also.

the bottle washing is killing me!

I'm not really sure how the parts break down individually, except the a corny can be had for $25 or less. Seems like you should be able to get at least a single keg setup going for that kind of dosh, or perhaps a very small outlay on your part.

Otherwise, you could get a larger brewpot (not sure what you have) so you could do larger volume boils. Or blow it all on ingredients!

Regulators run $40-60 new, so you could probably squeeze out a regulator, two cornies and two party taps.

Kegs...go for kegs. Washing bottles will send you to an early grave. If you can't buy the whole keg setup, buy part of it and make up the rest out of pocket.

Go with your instincts. Kegs. Come one...we all want to have beer on tap for our friends ;)

Cheers :D

Janx said:
Kegs...go for kegs. Washing bottles will send you to an early grave.
No joke, it will at least send my hobby to an early grave. I've got some nut brown that's been in my secondary since early January, I just can't get motivated to wash the dang bottles.

Ditto, I wouldn't have lasted past the second case of bottles. I only bottle when I'm giving ale away.

we have to remember he is getting this stuff from his LHBS. They are probably going to be more expensive than other places. Just to give you an idea since I too am working on a two tap kegerator. My HBS sells kegs at $35.00ea. I had a CO2 bottle and reg. I bought 2 faucets, shanks, nipples, hose line, 2X manifold to split the co2, a large bottle of Idophor and a 3lb bag of DME and that ran me almost a $100. Going with picnic taps will hold the cost down some but he may want to start with a one tap system and expand later.

Hey, that's a great idea! too late, i bought the keg set up. It was about 140 without the co2 tank. I'll be drinking out of it tonight!

Some purchases with which I have been very happy include...

- oxygenation system: basically, a regulator, some tubing and a .5 micron steel oxygen stone. Turns the chore of aeration into a 1-2 minute exercise that no level of shaking or churning can match, and because it is so quick, lowers exposure to contaminants. My HBS had all the pieces for this; perhaps yours will.

- Magnetic stir plate. A used once costs less than $100, but whether your HBS carries one is 50/50 or less. I know most folks would say "you don't need this," and perhaps this is technically true, but my starter yeast cakes are easily 5-10 times larger in the same amount of time using one of these, and I love it.

- Wort chiller: I was the same as you, perfectly happy with the addition of ice water, etc. to cool my wort. Then I received a double-coiled wort chiller. Now, it takes under 15 minutes, sometimes under 10, to chill from boiling to under 70 degrees, and I am extremely, extremely happy. My HBS has several of these for substantially under $100.

- Autosiphon: cheap (under $20), useful, very helpful.

Other than these, the ideas above are very good, especially the larger kettle. Have fun!

Back