The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What post boil volume do you shoot for to get 5 Gal into your keg/bottling bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
olotti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default What post boil volume do you shoot for to get 5 Gal into your keg/bottling bucket

I've had a few issues with dialing in the right post boil volume I need to net me 5 Gal to rack into my bottling bucket, seems I'm way under shooting it ie coming up with 4-4.5 Gal in my bottling bucket after racking. I know some loss is leaving wort in the fermenter and coming in low post boil as I leave in the bk more than expected due to hop gunk. I just upped my pre boil volume to 7 Gal which should net me 5.5 and between losing some to the bk, dry hopping and yeast cake I figure this should get me in the 5 Gal area, since I've only done 3 AG batches everything I do is still a work in progress. What volume do you shoot for that just about guarantees you'll have your desired amount either to bottle or keg.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
palys2
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I usually shoot for 6 gallons in the primary, and 6.5 if I'm making an IPA. After racking to a secondary and then to the bottling bucket, I end up with right about 5 gallons in the bottles.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
Buzzbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I try to boil 7 to 7.25 gals then get 6 into the primary

Old 06-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
logdrum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 19

[QUOTE=olotti;6183928]I've had a few issues with dialing in the right post boil volume I need to net me 5 Gal to rack into my bottling bucket, seems I'm way under shooting it ie coming up with 4-4.5 Gal in my bottling bucket after racking. I know some loss is leaving wort in the fermenter and coming in low post boil as I leave in the bk more than expected due to hop gunk. I just upped my pre boil volume to 7 Gal which should net me 5.5 and between losing some to the bk, dry hopping and yeast cake I figure this should get me in the 5 Gal area, since I've only done 3 AG batches everything I do is still a work in progress. What volume do you shoot for that just about guarantees you'll have your desired amount either to bottle or keg.[/QUOTE]

About .5 gal more than my target net. Measure your "gunk", fermentor loss, line loss etc and add it to your formula. With 3 AG batches in, you're still dialing it in, measure take notes, brew, repeat.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:18 AM   #5
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I leave 1 gallon in the boil kettle, and .5 gallon in the fermenter, so post boil, it's 1-1/2 gallons for me.

Keg #1: Empty
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: Bavarian Hefeweizen

Fermenter #1 Thor's Hammer

Superbowl champions.

plankbr Likes This 
Old 06-13-2014, 05:04 AM   #6
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1196 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1824

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrain View Post
I leave 1 gallon in the boil kettle, and .5 gallon in the fermenter, so post boil, it's 1-1/2 gallons for me.

Wow, why so much?

I shoot for 6 gallons post boil. .25 in the kettle . 25 left in the fermenter. I have some wiggle room.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:18 AM   #7
olotti
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Will upping my pre boil volume say it calls for 6.5 but I want to go 7 or 7.5 change the final OG I'm targeting?????

Old 06-13-2014, 06:40 AM   #8
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 15

5.5 gallons into the bucket unless its a beer im dry hopping with whole leaf i add another .25 g to make up for hop absorption.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 06-13-2014, 06:41 AM   #9
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by olotti View Post
Will upping my pre boil volume say it calls for 6.5 but I want to go 7 or 7.5 change the final OG I'm targeting?????
Yes you need to use a tool like Beersmith or BrewersFriend to properly scale your recipe. Usually its just a bit more base malt.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 06-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
olotti
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
Yes you need to use a tool like Beersmith or BrewersFriend to properly scale your recipe. Usually its just a bit more base malt.
Ok thanks I never really thought about the increase in volume affecting the body of the beer but it would make since. Think its time to get beersmith.

Quick Reply