The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > what is the most "water conserving" method of cooling wort quickly?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #31
pissgarn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacks4 View Post
It currently takes me 40 gallons of hose water to cool a 5-6 gal batch using a 1/2" x 25' IC in NJ (the past 3 months). Yeah, I save it and try to dump it on bushes and plants, etc.. but that is WAY too much waste water. I'm upgrading to 10gal batches right now and looking for the best way to cool wort quickly that also doesn't use a ton of water. Plate chiller? pre-chiller? 50' IC? plate chiller with a pond pump in ice water? etc...

What are you guys doing? Thanks in advance for the ideas/help.

Steve
Since I'm filling the kids pool anyway, I just stick it in there.

Ron

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #32
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4575 Times on 4481 Posts
Likes Given: 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezhed View Post
I chilled at 102 degrees outside today by buying 60 lb of ice per batch (brewed two 5 gal batches) and putting 20 lb to start in a cooler and adding water to fill a 42 qt cooler which was connected to a 40 plate chiller. I added water to make an ice bath that I ran through the plate chiller. I recycled the water as it ran out back into the cooler/ice bath and continued adding another 20lb of ice. I measured the water as it ran out and kept up with the total. I used less than 7 gal of water plus 30 lb of ice( $4.50)....I dumped 5 gal of water for cleanup when the wort was chilled to 70.
So you pay $4.50 for ice PER 5 GAL BATCH? That would be more than a third of my per-5-gal budget.

Mmm, hot and wet beef.-marubozo

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Old 08-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #33
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

There's at least one thread a week here about trying to conserve water at the cost of many other things. Ice is rarely free unless it's winter in an area that freezes. 40 gallons of water for me is about 30 cents. The first 20 gallons goes into my HLT and MLT for cleanup anyway. The rest waters the plants because by then the output water is cool enough for them.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #34
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4575 Times on 4481 Posts
Likes Given: 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
There's at least one thread a week here about trying to conserve water at the cost of many other things. Ice is rarely free unless it's winter in an area that freezes. 40 gallons of water for me is about 30 cents. The first 20 gallons goes into my HLT and MLT for cleanup anyway. The rest waters the plants because by then the output water is cool enough for them.
Yep, and if you're one of those double brew day folks, you can get a head start on your mash or sparge water heating.

Mmm, hot and wet beef.-marubozo

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Old 09-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #35
dragonbreath11
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you live by a stream or have a neighbour with a pool or pond you can stick it in there. I have a small koi pond 50 gallons? I just stick the fermenter or keggle in there and it's down to ambient temps in 20 min.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #36
bja
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 68 Posts

Can someone explain to me the reasoning for conserving water? Is it the cost or are you trying to be eco-friendly?

I have a well, so I think nothing of using all the water I want. If I dump 40 gallons in my yard, it just filters down through the ground back into the well.

I was in Houston a couple weeks ago where it hasn't rained measureably all summer. These people are still watering their lawns and washing their cars everyday as if everything is normal.

So can someone please tell me what the fascination is with conserving water to the point where people will spend more money on ice and electricity than they would've on just the water alone?

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #37
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts

I don't really know, and have wondered the same myself, but I'm a bit biased. The water here comes directly from the Great Lakes, and so is incredibly cheap and abundant, but I don't know what the situation is like for people that don't have the benefit of living near such a massive freshwater supply.

Even then, I have a Therminator, which is the most efficient chiller on the market, but the only reason I got it is because it's also the fastest (two sides of the same coin, really). But the water I use goes down the drain, and I've never given a second's thought to do anything else with it, with one exception - the *only* way to recycle the water that I feel makes a lot of sense is to use it for brewing another batch, and that's not really about recycling the water so much as recycling the thermal energy it picked up in the process, thus requiring less time and fuel/electricity to bring it up to strike temps.

But yeah, other than than that, I also can't help but wonder why people sacrifice speed, chilling power, space and sometimes even money, going with setups that allow them to recycle their water.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #38
rothj617
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just because people here in Houston ARE watering and washing cars as usual, doesn't mean they SHOULD be. We are currently under level 2 water restrictions, meaning no one should be watering their lawns more than twice a week, or after 3am. Water levels in Lake Houston are so low it's impacting the (already terrible) water quality, and they're having to drain water from other lakes to supplement. It's just a matter of being a good steward of a resource that's becoming increasingly scarce in many parts of the world.

Last edited by rothj617; 09-09-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #39
dragonbreath11
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Even if you "waste" a lot of water and it evaporates doesn't it come back one way or another?

Old 09-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #40
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbreath11 View Post
Even if you "waste" a lot of water and it evaporates doesn't it come back one way or another?
That depends. The net water balance of the planet is essentially 0. That doesn't mean that the water you use is returned to your watershed or aquifer. Some aquifers are fossil aquifers that recharge extremely slowly, if at all (they are essentially mined). In many arid regions, much of the evapotranspiration does not re-precipitate locally, it is transported into other areas.
Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Quick Reply