The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What is the most difficult style of beer to make, in your opinion?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 04:27 AM   #1
Gordolordo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is the most difficult style of beer to make, in your opinion?

What would you say is the most difficult style of beer to brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2005, 04:37 AM   #2
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Bad brew... hands down.

Beer lovers make better drinkers.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

I was wondering where to bring this up, and this is as good a place as any. I'll start by giving my opinion on the question: The most difficult style to brew is any style that has no place for flaws to hide. Light ales, light lagers, pilsner, helles, etc. It's like brewing completely naked. If you screw up even just one little thing, you can't hide it. High hop rates and high OG's can go a long way to mask flaws.

Which brings me to my point: I think the brewers of the Big Three: Bud, Miller, and Coors, are some of the most talented brewers on the planet. Their product is NOT BAD. I don't think any of the major American Pilsner brews are actually bad, or even taste crummy. They just don't taste....period. Someone give me one particular taste in any of those beers that is actually bad or foul tasting. Their mass appeal and popularity is so high because of their lack of taste. The other thing that is startlingly apparent is the utter lack of any flaws. Those beers are as clean (and lifeless) as a whistle. Any homebrewer would be hard pressed, if challenged properly, to brew a beer that light and that clean. The accomplishment of these breweries to manipulate and consistently deliver a product this devoid of any distinguishable charateristic is really awe inspiring.

I'm not kidding, these guys are my heroes. I don't particularly care for their product, but I admire it immensely. Comments?

Prosit,

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 05-16-2005, 02:55 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They have experimented full time and still employ scientists (brewers and such) to maintain their recipe.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:28 PM   #5
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I don't recall where I heard it but brews such as Meister Brau (Miller) and Busch (A.B.) were products that didn't make the QC cut of Miller High Life and Budweiser. Could be urban legend...

Old 05-16-2005, 04:59 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
I don't recall where I heard it but brews such as Meister Brau (Miller) and Busch (A.B.) were products that didn't make the QC cut of Miller High Life and Budweiser. Could be urban legend...
Sounds like urban legend...

Old 05-16-2005, 09:17 PM   #7
andre the giant

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'd agree with tnlndsailor. Any brew that has no strong/dominant characteristic is tough. I brewed a pale ale that would be fantatstic if it weren't for an off flavor. I have several theories where it came from, and I've changed my proceedures to correct it, but that batch of beer is almost unbearable. I expect to get a nice light dry, hoppy beer and all I taste is the off flavor. Other delicate beers, like the Pilsner, rely on a good balance, and if one characteristic is off, you notice it.

Other styles, like the Oatmeal Stout and the Chocolate Porter have some very dominant flavors, so even if the beer isn't well balanced, it still tastes great.

After a year of sitting idle, Andre's All-Grain Brewery has reopened.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Old 05-18-2005, 01:58 AM   #8
BitterRat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlandsailor
I was wondering where to bring this up, and this is as good a place as any. I'll start by giving my opinion on the question: The most difficult style to brew is any style that has no place for flaws to hide. Light ales, light lagers, pilsner, helles, etc. It's like brewing completely naked. If you screw up even just one little thing, you can't hide it. High hop rates and high OG's can go a long way to mask flaws.

Which brings me to my point: I think the brewers of the Big Three: Bud, Miller, and Coors, are some of the most talented brewers on the planet. Their product is NOT BAD. I don't think any of the major American Pilsner brews are actually bad, or even taste crummy. They just don't taste....period. Someone give me one particular taste in any of those beers that is actually bad or foul tasting. Their mass appeal and popularity is so high because of their lack of taste. The other thing that is startlingly apparent is the utter lack of any flaws. Those beers are as clean (and lifeless) as a whistle. Any homebrewer would be hard pressed, if challenged properly, to brew a beer that light and that clean. The accomplishment of these breweries to manipulate and consistently deliver a product this devoid of any distinguishable charateristic is really awe inspiring.

I'm not kidding, these guys are my heroes. I don't particularly care for their product, but I admire it immensely. Comments?

Prosit,
Heh, I have said basically the same thing and have been ripped a new one for the mere thought!! But I think the same, the guys at the mega breweries are great brewers! They make their beer in numerous cities in the U.S. and throughout the world, and their beer is EXACTLY the same from every brewery. That is not an easy thing to do.
As for the hardest beer, I have to agree that the lighter brews are most difficult, but would say that light lagers have to be the hardest. Light lagers there is no room for errors or anything off slightly, they have to be clean and crisp.

Old 05-18-2005, 01:21 PM   #9
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i disagree with "the big three" being the best brewers. mainly because these guy's have it made, right? the top-of-the-line equipment, endless resources of research, test markets, etc. plus, they use all kind of "junk" in the beers besides the big 4 - yeast, water, malt, hops - to get their final product so clear and tasteless. if they had to list all the ingredients in their beers like other food products do (by law no less!), most would be 15-25 pages long. so, with that being said, i feel the craft brewers who don't have the killer brew systems like the big 3, that can produce good quality beers time after time, are the best brewers. i bet if you had one of A-B's or M's brewers on a 3 bbl system and asked them to brew a Pilz, no two batches would be the same, as in their mega-breweries. just my $0.02 worth........
cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 05-18-2005, 09:59 PM   #10
HAZEr
Recipes 

I don't think the big guys should be knocked for having high tech setups. We all rely on technology in our brewing to varying degrees. Between knowing the acid levels of our hops and the extract potential of our malt we all are way advanced from what the major brewers had ~120 years ago. None of us are stuck using 100% smoked malt because of the old style of kilning. This is all good stuff. I'm looking forward to having a dedicated lagering fridge someday.

When it comes down to it, their scientists are also brewers. They have to understand the basic process in addition to details right down to the microscopic level.

Yes they use adjuncts in their beer and other items I'm sure could only be defined as chemicals. So?

I don't drink their beer. I like mine better. I do respect their ability to repeat a process exactly every time.

Quick Reply