Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > what kind of DME for yeast starters?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
Schnitzengiggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have made starters for my last 3 brews, and I have brewed four times, I have only made 1L starters in growlers, is it possible to make a larger starter in a growler, such as a 1.5 or 1.75, or would I run the risk of a blowoff if it krausens, I only use foil caps. My WLP400 belgian wit starter krausened about 2-2.5 inches, my WLP004 Irish ale starter no krausen at all(but shortest lag time). I will be making a Dubbel with a 1.070 Estimated OG and I want to make a bigger starter, MrMalty says with intermittent shaking I should make a 2L satrter, but a growler is only 2L should I break down and get a bigger starter container?

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #12
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by immaculatemale8 View Post
1.) what kind of DME should you use for a yeast starter? same as in recipe, or is there a universal DME to use?
I used light DME

2.) why not use some of your actual wort and pitch whole starter next day?
What I do now is I save a growler of wort and use that for my next starter yes I am cheap

3.) do you really need a starter with smack packs?

I do will prove it viable and get the yeast count up . Always use Mr.Malty
Just a 5.5 gallon 1.048 ale needs 177 million yeast cells a fresh smack pack has 100 million who knows how many are viable after a few weeks or months

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 04-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzengiggle View Post
I have made starters for my last 3 brews, and I have brewed four times, I have only made 1L starters in growlers, is it possible to make a larger starter in a growler, such as a 1.5 or 1.75, or would I run the risk of a blowoff if it krausens, I only use foil caps. My WLP400 belgian wit starter krausened about 2-2.5 inches, my WLP004 Irish ale starter no krausen at all(but shortest lag time). I will be making a Dubbel with a 1.070 Estimated OG and I want to make a bigger starter, MrMalty says with intermittent shaking I should make a 2L satrter, but a growler is only 2L should I break down and get a bigger starter container?
you could just do a step up. make your 1 liter let it go a few days throw it in the fridge and then decant the liquid. Then add another liter of fresh wort and let her again.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 04-15-2009, 10:44 PM   #14
ericm
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
I have both light and amber depending on the color of the beer I am doing. I have used the amber on ambers and darker beers, and the light for anything lower on the SRM scale.

In the future when I run out of DME I think I will do what I think Deathbrewer suggested and mash some grain in one of those coated cast iron pots (can't remember the real name for some reason) in the oven set at 155*. I figure 3/4 lb of grain at about .45c compared to 1/2 of DME is a bit of cost savings.
I often intentionally calculate an all-grain recipe with lower efficiency than I will actually get, and then just take the excess wort and dilute it to ~1.040 and save it in the freezer for starters.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #15
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
you could just do a step up. make your 1 liter let it go a few days throw it in the fridge and then decant the liquid. Then add another liter of fresh wort and let her again.
Would I have to worry about any krausen, or when you step up is that not an issue?

EDIT: read your reply wrong...I see what you mean, decant then add more wort to increase the cell count without just adding more wort to the existing wort.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 04-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #16
pirate504
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I make starters for all my beers now because I'm doing 10 or 15 gal batches almost exclusively and I'm a cheap brewer that's not willing to buy 2-3 vials (or smack packs) of new yeast to make my beer.

I was using wort at first and only giving it 12 hours to grow( basically overnight), but have since switched to a lite DME so that I can prepare it a day or two ahead of time.

I make it up 1/2 to 3/4 gal of starter typically depending on whether I'm making a 10 or 15 gal batch or if I'm brewing a light or dark beer ( like a stout)

Its beer, let us not forget its pretty forgiving as long as you stick to the basics

Quick Reply