Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What do you use to filter your tap water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #21
flipfloptan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I use a rv filter from walmart that connects to your hose. i think it is $15

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #22
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I picked up one of these systems and had it installed under the kitchen sink. I use it for ALL my drinking, brewing, and cooking water. The third filter stage goes down to .2 microns which will filter out pretty much everything you don't want in the water. My previous setup was a two stage that only went to .5 microns.

The filter might be over-kill, but I've yet to have any issue. I'd rather filter to this level for everything than have a separate filter just for brewing.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #23
ktraver97ss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Nada, been using our lake michigan tap water for years with fish tanks, and a few years brewing and have never had a chlorine issue. I had it tested a long time ago and there was very low ppm but i dont remember the exact # anymore.

Kegged/bottled #1-Nut Brown #2-American Wheat IPA #3-Templetons Rye Barleywine #4-Belgian Wheat Wine #5-Belgian Wit

Old 10-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Mcmaster part #4448K39 filters out for taste, odor, and chlorine...and is $30 including filter. Just add some hose barbs and garden hose fittings. Lake Michigan water is good for brewing chemistry, but if the water tastes better filtered, the beer will too.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #25
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrewski View Post
Mcmaster part #4448K39 filters out for taste, odor, and chlorine...and is $30 including filter. Just add some hose barbs and garden hose fittings. Lake Michigan water is good for brewing chemistry, but if the water tastes better filtered, the beer will too.
Had a system that used, essentially, two of those in tandem to filter my drinking (plus cooking and brewing) water at my old place. How good a job it does depends, entirely, on the filter you use in it. The filters with a smaller opening (.5 micron) are more expensive than the looser ones (5 micron). IF I was to get something like that again, I'd want a dual filter setup, or three filter. The filters, very often, can cost more than the housing will.

BTW, the McMaster-Car page only lists filters down to 5 microns (or up to 20 microns). IMO/IME, 5 micron is a decent first stage, but no where near good enough for the second, or final. IF you only have a single filter housing setup, then (IMO/IME) you're going to want a finer filter. .5 micron would be my minimum requirement. Obviously, my current system uses a .2 micron final stage, which I'm very happy with. Water tastes great coming from it, which is important.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #26
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

This is good. I had done some research and decided on the Everpure H-1200 because I thought it said it removes Chlorine and Chloramines. Then I did some more research and found it actually said it removes Chlorine taste and odor, and Chloramine taste and odor. A little further research (kind of hard to find out what it actually does, but I finally found this statement) removes aesthetic chlorine and chloramine. (Bolding is mine.) So it's great tasting water, and I like using it in my coffee maker, but gotta stick with Campden tablets.

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #27
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I am SHOCKED at how many people in here use their water straight from the tap. Unless you have well water and a water table with minerals friendly to brewing the styles you like, I would seriously question your ability to make beer I want to drink.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #28
modernlifeisANDY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
I am SHOCKED at how many people in here use their water straight from the tap. Unless you have well water and a water table with minerals friendly to brewing the styles you like, I would seriously question your ability to make beer I want to drink.
Why would you "question" it? Plenty of people can make delicious beer true-to-style without needing to add tons of minerals to their water. Maybe you've had bad experiences with town/tap water in the past, but that doesn't mean everyone does. I can make great beer using water right from the tap here in MA. I'd challenge you to taste the difference in a beer I make using my tap water v. a beer using filtered, treated water.

ON TAP
Klepek IPA
Coffeehouse Stout

FERMENTING
Love Weizen Davis

ON DECK
Casper Extra Pale Ale

Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #29
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I was surprised how some people in my area reported filtering for drinking water (a pitcher filter) but use tap water to brew. You won't find me doing that. IF I'm not willing to drink the water, I'm not going to cook, or brew, with it.

I did read the water report (much more information than I had when living in MA) and don't see chloramine listed in it, at all.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #30
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

Interesting. I happily drink water straight out of the tap. It doesn't have detectable chlorine flavor and my water district doesn't treat the water with chloramines. I am SHOCKED that you will happily judge one's ability to make decent beer by their willingness to use their own tap water (regardless of the quality and mineral makeup of it)to brew it. Many of the local breweries use tap water for brewing with no negative issues.

Quick Reply