Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What to do when your airlock is full of wort.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Drunken Monk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What to do when your airlock is full of wort.

So last night I brewed up a Goose Island Nut Brown Clone, cooled to about 80 degrees, pitched some dry muntons yeast that I rehydrated in about a half cup of wort and went to bed.
This morning the airlock was ful of wort and there was foam coming out of the top of it. It wasn't bubbling. I pulled the bung out of the carboy and I heard a bunch of gas hiss out. So I run to the sink and wash up the three priece airlock thinking I could put it back on and go to work. No dice. The Carboy was oozing krausen so I grab some paper towels and wipe it off. The krausen keeps coming. This is when I wish I had a blowoff tube that would fit my carboy.
After about a quarter roll of paper towels it hits me. I have evrything I need to make a blowoff. My siphon hose fits perfectly in the drilled stopper! Just add a bucket of water and there you have it. Crisis averted!
I guess it goes without saying that I will be using this blowoff system for Primary from now on. I'll save the airlock for Secondary.
I figured I would share this story since there are probably a bunch of brewers out there that have everything to make a blowoff like this but never really thought of doing it like this. I always saw people use the 1 inch tube and never thought I could use the things I already had until I absolutely had to.

A wise man once said: "Get it krunk!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Yep, it''ll work. But the smaller hose is more susceptible to clogging.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 503 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHorse View Post
Yep, it''ll work. But the smaller hose is more susceptible to clogging.
Yes, agreed, restricting the out flow is akin to making a bomb.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
kuphish

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Monk View Post
So last night I brewed up a Goose Island Nut Brown Clone, cooled to about 80 degrees, pitched some dry muntons yeast that I rehydrated in about a half cup of wort and went to bed.
This morning the airlock was ful of wort and there was foam coming out of the top of it. It wasn't bubbling. I pulled the bung out of the carboy and I heard a bunch of gas hiss out. So I run to the sink and wash up the three priece airlock thinking I could put it back on and go to work. No dice. The Carboy was oozing krausen so I grab some paper towels and wipe it off. The krausen keeps coming. This is when I wish I had a blowoff tube that would fit my carboy.
After about a quarter roll of paper towels it hits me. I have evrything I need to make a blowoff. My siphon hose fits perfectly in the drilled stopper! Just add a bucket of water and there you have it. Crisis averted!
I guess it goes without saying that I will be using this blowoff system for Primary from now on. I'll save the airlock for Secondary.
I figured I would share this story since there are probably a bunch of brewers out there that have everything to make a blowoff like this but never really thought of doing it like this. I always saw people use the 1 inch tube and never thought I could use the things I already had until I absolutely had to.
I you have some foam control drops handy, you can just drop 5-6 drops down through the drilled hole. That'll clear things up pretty quick.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Remove airlock + stopper, replace with aluminum foil.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
zman
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I use a blow off tube. One end in the carboy and the other in a bucket of star san/water solution

Old 06-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
Drunken Monk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Remove airlock + stopper, replace with aluminum foil.
And spend a half hour cleaning up all the krausen that spills out?
I'm pretty sure my little blow off tube will work just fine. I know its not the absolute best option out there but its what i have an so far its working a heck of a lot better than my airlock. I'll probably use it on my next few batches as well and monitor it to see if it poses any problem. I hardly doubt its going to blow up.
And why do people bother putting the other end of thier tube in sanitizer anyway? I'm pretty sure fermenting wort is incapable of sucking on the hose to start a siphon.

A wise man once said: "Get it krunk!"

Old 06-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
And spend a half hour cleaning up all the krausen that spills out?
I'm pretty sure my little blow off tube will work just fine.
Since I already posted this story once today, I won't write it out again. However this is why I would never do that.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
derekm
Recipes 

I would worry more about pitching at 80 degrees. If you pitched at 65 to 70 you propably wouldn't have the this issue. But this way fermentation should be done in 2 days if you force carb you can be drinking this beer by monday. Only problem is it won't taste very good.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 503 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
I hardly doubt its going to blow up.
Your correct, probably not. But oh if it does...boom...wort geyser! You can fashion an emergency blow off out of a kitchen trash bag, cut the bottom out of the bag and tightly tape it around the fermenter w/ the other end of the bag in a bucket, the beer will drip into the "catch can"

Anyone who has ever experienced a pressurized fermenter due to a plugged airlock would advise against this!

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Quick Reply