Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What to do now ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
SAS98M
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What to do now ?

I just got done racking a Munich lager off the yeast-Should I save the yeast ? Can it be saved ? How should it be saved ? What is the process for separating and saving the yeast ? Are there any specialty items req'd for doing this ?Can this yeast be used for any beer or just lagers ? I racked the beer off just until I saw yeasties in the tube and stopped-I'd suppose there's about 3/4 inch of liquid on the cake(I haven't removed the lid from the bucket yet,I did reattach the air-loc on the top after the transfer although it's only been about 45 mins. since and there's positive pressure in the primary(the yeasties are still alive and well I figure). I'm sorry for the bombardment of questions,I'm tryin' here. Any input pertaining would be appreciated .Thanks in advance. Shane

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2007, 12:19 AM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS98M
I just got done racking a Munich lager off the yeast-Should I save the yeast ? Can it be saved ? How should it be saved ? What is the process for separating and saving the yeast ? Are there any specialty items req'd for doing this ?Can this yeast be used for any beer or just lagers ? I racked the beer off just until I saw yeasties in the tube and stopped-I'd suppose there's about 3/4 inch of liquid on the cake(I haven't removed the lid from the bucket yet,I did reattach the air-loc on the top after the transfer although it's only been about 45 mins. since and there's positive pressure in the primary(the yeasties are still alive and well I figure). I'm sorry for the bombardment of questions,I'm tryin' here. Any input pertaining would be appreciated .Thanks in advance. Shane
This is a daily question. Short answer: yes, it can be saved. Long answer? Type in "harvesting yeast" in the search box up at the top of the page.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-02-2007, 12:26 AM   #3
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

here this should be good for ya, should answer everything ya want to know about harvesting, washing and freezing yeast . . .

http://www.schwedhelm.net/brew/yeast_harv_freeze.html

someone got that other link for him? cant remember if it's Wyeast or whitelabs, but I got it book marked on my machine at home

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS