Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What causes harder or softer hangovers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
jackson_d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What causes harder or softer hangovers?

6 or 7 AG batches under my belt. They are all fantastic. But some of them with less ABV will cause slightly harder hangovers than the others with more ABV. So as I am ever learning about the AG process and fine tuning every aspect from getting a bigger mash paddle and stirring more to purchasing a more accurate thermometer... What exactly might I have done wrong or differently that would cause one beer to give more of a hangover tha another???

Fermenting: 12g Elevated Line California Lager
Kegged: Elevated Line Toast IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Elevated Line Blonde, Elevated Line Christmas Molasses Porter
On Deck: Death by Dunkel, Mango Lambic?, Barleywine, Wheat, Cali Lager, Pilsner, Honey Porter, etc., etc...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
stevea1210
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson_d View Post
What exactly might I have done wrong or differently that would cause one beer to give more of a hangover tha another???
You probably had two to many

I've got close to 30 batches under my belt, and haven't had a hangover from homebrew. I can still get one from commercial, but I've yet to get one from HB.

I'm not sure what would cause it.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Old 08-21-2009, 01:30 AM   #3
the_Roqk

Recipes 

For me hangovers usually occur if I drink too many commercial beers. I believe because of the additives and preservatives that are allowed in them by the FDA. I don't like drinking anything other than micro-brewed beer or homebrew. But occasionally will drink a mass produced swill.

For example: Miller Lite contains propylene glycol alginate, water, barley malt, corn syrup, chemically modified hop extracts, yeast, amyloglucosidase, carbon dioxide, papain enzyme, liquid sugar, potassium metabisulfite, and Emka-malt. (this is what I Googled: what additives are in my commercial beer?)

I'm sure that the other two, Bud and Coors have some similiar additives to their products as well. This I believe can cause hangovers, some bad and some not so bad. Just depends on how much you embibe.

Like some other Homebrewers I don't really get hangovers from Homebrew. I do think that it's because of it being all natural. Atleast that's what I believe. Someone else can respond with a better answer and may have a more scientific explanation.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:44 AM   #4
Dougan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I get hangovers from homebrew.

You guys just aren't drinking enough.

"Traffic. If only it were as light as your beer" - Miller MGD 64 truck. A thought I have every day while driving in heavy traffic, downing light beers.

Search Recipes by Ingredients | Check out my brewing recipes!

Primary: Lagunitas IPA Clone
Kegged: German Pilsner, Clydesdale (Spotted Cow Clone)

Old 08-21-2009, 01:44 AM   #5
sithspitt
Recipes 

i don't get hang overs unless i start drinking very early and pass out very late ( a good 12 hour drunk). Best cure, drink when you wake up and don't stop til about 4 hours before you go to bed. I usually feel fine the next day.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:41 AM   #6
ekranzusch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think I read somewhere that the main cause of hangovers is dehydration. I'm sure all the cruddy additives do not help.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:47 AM   #7
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Drink at least a quart of water and take three aspirin before going to bed to make the next day easier. Gatorade is even better.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:00 AM   #8
DylansDad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougan View Post
I get hangovers from homebrew.

You guys just aren't drinking enough.
+100

I made an American Red Ale from Morebeer that I liked to call the "Hangover Mistress" because I always got hangovers when I drank a lot of it.

mmmmmmmmmmm Beer.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:07 AM   #9
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangover#Causes
...In addition, it is thought that the presence of other alcohols (such as fusel oils), by-products of the alcoholic fermentation also called congeners, exaggerate many of the symptoms ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusel_oil
Fusel alcohols are formed when fermentation occurs:
  • at higher temperatures,
  • at lower pH,
  • when yeast activity is limited by low nitrogen content.
My two hundreths of a dollar is that differences in fermentation temperature or pH cause some of your beers to produce more fusal alcohols and thus different degrees of hangover. Free Amino Nitrogen should not be a problem in AG brewing(BT - Malt Extracts: Cause for Caution). Further, since the BMC's of the world do as much as they can to speed up production I suspect the ferment warmer than they should to speed up production.

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Old 08-21-2009, 03:25 AM   #10
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_Roqk View Post

For example: Miller Lite contains propylene glycol alginate, water, barley malt, corn syrup, chemically modified hop extracts, yeast, amyloglucosidase, carbon dioxide, papain enzyme, liquid sugar, potassium metabisulfite, and Emka-malt. (this is what I Googled: what additives are in my commercial beer?)
wow that looks closer to a pepsi formula that it does to a beer ingredient list. well not really but still that is pathetic.... I thought miller light was the good stuff, triple hopped and everything

Quick Reply