Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What are alternatives from using O2 pump to aerate high gravity worts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
BigHead33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm gonna try the wand from Williams and see if I can get a disposable o2 tank.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
jhoyda
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHead33
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm gonna try the wand from Williams and see if I can get a disposable o2 tank.
Any hardware store will have the tanks. No one sells them online because, I believe, they are considered hazardous cargo. If you have a Lowe's they are in the tool section.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHead33
Thanks for the ideas. I'd rather not have to add another step with the bucket to the carboy, plus I'd be worried about contamination. I heard about the small oxygen tanks at hardware stores. They dont have them on the ACE or True Value Hardware web sites, but maybe I should go down there and look myself. It looks like I have no other choice but to spend the $60 on the stone and whatever it is for a tank.
You could actually aerate before you transfer which is what I do most of the time. You sound like a gadget guy so your toys would be the way to go. I'm a simple guy if a simple $3 spinner works, I'm not in for a $60 one. Cheers!

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 651 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Mind you I have never brewed a big beer. Heck the biggest I have brewed was 1.045 so my method may not work for you. After I pull the IC out of the beer I and transfer the beer into the fermenter I have about a gallon to top off most times. I pinch the hose that had been hose clamped to the IC and turn the water on full blast. I get a tiny jet of water that flat out churns the wort like you would not believe. After about a half gallon of that the foam is about to overflow the fermenter so I have to stop.

I also am on good clean well water and that helps

Old 01-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
BigHead33
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yeah I cant do that since I change the chemistry and filter my brew water. I try not to have to top off when I brew. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #16
Jon_TWR
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What I do when I'm brewing a big beer is aerate by shaking before pitching, again after pitching, then AGAIN about 12 hours later. I figure the yeast use up a lot of the oxygen in that first 12 hours and are still reproducing, so that second aeration 12 hours later shouldn't cause any problems.

So far, it's worked out great...I'm sure O2 is ideal, but I've had good results with some very big beers this way.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
smack2000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I would highly recommend the oxygen wand and disposable O2 bottles. The initial investment is a little higher, but it gets the job done quickly and efficiently.

Quick Reply