Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Weird Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
JasonToews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Weird Question

Is it better to age a homebrew beer uncarbed in a carboy or to carb it and age it? Or does it make a difference?

For example

say I left an uncarbed beer in the carboy for 3 months then carbed it and bottled. Will it be a more tasty beer compared to a beer which was carbed after two weeks of fermenting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
skidmarks
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It would be better to bottle, it will age better in the bottle.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 660

I've done both, (depending on the style/abv etc...) with the exception of at least a month in the fermentors before bottling/kegging. In my opinion aging in bulk makes a better brew. Sometimes though, that isn't practical. If your making a Belgium strong or barley wine, you'll want to 'bulk age' for awhile and still age more in the bottle (maybe for years....). Carbed or not...it'll still condition.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

It's not a matter of better. They are different kinds of conditioning and somewhat different process. One, bottle conditioning is dependent on the activity of yeast and carbonation.

For big beers I leave them in primary for a month to finish fermenting (they tend to be slow anyway) and to let the yeast clean up, then I rack to a secondary for several months to bulk age before bottling. Bulk conditioning tends to be mellower, and it all happens together. Slight differences in temps of the bottles could cause slight differences in each bottles.

It may or may not change the timeframe of the final conditioning in the bottle, some things still need to have the co2 of carbonation to clean and mellow, so don't look at it as a way to speed anything up...look at it as a way to make great beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply