New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Water testing question re: filters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
SankePankey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Default Water testing question re: filters

Hello-

I've got pretty minerally hard water from a well that I'd like to get tested to know what adjuncts to get. My question is:

If I'm going to be filtering my water in some way (not sure which filter yet) wouldn't it make much more sense to send a sample for testing that's taken after the filter. Should I wait til I get that in place for that? I guess this is a dumb question, but I drank those cells away last night.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

After the filter, this way you can adjust the water you brew with as needed.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 02-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Post filter would be my choice if that's where you plan to draw water from in the future. If you're in a hurry, I can tell you that carbon filters do very little to change the ions. At most, you'll lose a few ppm here and there. I say this based on the results of pre/post filter test results my friend got from wardlab.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Post filter would be my choice if that's where you plan to draw water from in the future. If you're in a hurry, I can tell you that carbon filters do very little to change the ions. At most, you'll lose a few ppm here and there. I say this based on the results of pre/post filter test results my friend got from wardlab.
Any chance you'd mind sharing the preferred filter to buy. I'm looking to not spend the $200 for the whole house filter thing, just a moderate ebay or depot buy.

Thanks. Just don't want to look that hard. And thanks for the videos.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Something like this should work with a carbon filter in it should do just fine. The bigger the filter the faster you can push the water through it and still have it be effective.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 02-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Yeah, for just a single stage carbon filter, go to Walmart or Lowes. The walmart one is a clear housing and they sell two packs of carbon filters for $9.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Quick Reply