Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Water Source

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2006, 04:57 AM   #1
RiversC174
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Water Source

I just wanted to know what water you guys all use to top up your fermenters. Do you use tap or bottled or something? I was very anxious to get my first batch ready and I simply used 6 gallons of steam distilled bottled water both to dissolve the malt extract and to top up my fermenter. Was that alright or should I really have boiled all water being used in the operation to absolutely ensure sterility? I'm just afraid I screwed the whole thing up but then again I find it hard to believe that bottled steam distilled water could have enough microorganisms to inoculate my brew and screw it up. I'll be waiting hopefully for your replies, keep my brew in your prayers...

Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2006, 05:00 AM   #2
rewster451

Recipes 

If your water is sterile, either by steam or by distillation, as in bottled water, you'll be fine for sanitization purposes. The only thing to be concerned about is the "hardness" of your water. Distilled water is neutral, which isn't bad, but having slightly "hard" water (what I do is add gypsum to distilled water in the boil) is advantageous for settling out the residue. I don't think your water is going to hurt anything.

Up next: Big Brew Off competition between me and Kaptain Karma as one team, and my two roommates as another--We'll be brewing Pale Ales with specifications on malts, hops, and total yeild to see who's version is better (and to end up with ten total gallons of great beer).
Also up soon: Belgian Dubbel
Primary: Grampa's Woodshed Apple Smoked Porter
Secondary: Zombiefoot California Common, Chocolate Strong Porter
Drinking: Seamus O'Drunkagan Irish Red, Humble Pie Imperial Stout, Capricorn IPA

Old 02-27-2006, 05:21 AM   #3
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I use City of Milwaukee tap water run through a brita style faucet mounted filter. I dont boil it befor I use it I just make sure the milk jug I use is nice and clean.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:34 AM   #4
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've been using tap water, straight from the faucet for my AG. I just read a blurb in CP's book that said that chlorine residue will make a maltier beer. Maybe that explains the body in my rye brew- a slice of beer, anyone?

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 02-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #5
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Like casebrew, I do AG . I do get rid of chlorine ( bad taste to beer) before using my tap water for brewing. I add campton tablet, 1 to 20 gallons of water, for 1 night to clear.
I get enough wort so there is no need to top up. I also don't top up my secondary as I fel that waters down my brew.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In the US, water sold as spring water, drinking water, or distilled water is sterilized and filtered...no need to worry about it at all. Distilled water isn't recommended for brewing as rewser said, but it's unlikely you'll notice a difference doing extracts. In the future if you're going to buy water tho, spring water or drinking water is best.

As far as tap water goes, you really want to boil it before using it to top off, IMHO.

My personal choice is to use bottled spring water...it's not too expensive and you never have to worry about boiling it.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 02-28-2006, 01:24 AM   #7
parasonic
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewster451
what I do is add gypsum to distilled water in the boil
Isn't gypsum used to alter the pH? While I'm asking this, does anyone have any threads on pH bookmarked? Searching for pH yields nothing because pH is too short of a search term (dumb). Thanks!

Old 02-28-2006, 01:28 AM   #8
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I used to worry about my water and use nothing but bottled water. After talking to my LHBS which recently opened a small brew-pub, the water in my region is great for brewing. Now all I do is filter it primarily to remove chlorine.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 03-01-2006, 03:18 AM   #9
PanzerOfDoom
Recipes 

Must be nice, the water here is terrible as it is in much of the Deep Coastal South. I always use bottled.

Old 03-01-2006, 04:01 AM   #10
rewster451

Recipes 

I think gypsum does alter the PH, but distilled water is neutral (7). I think the ideal ph for beer water is like 5-6. But I'm not sure whether gypsum gets it in that range or not. Works for me.

Up next: Big Brew Off competition between me and Kaptain Karma as one team, and my two roommates as another--We'll be brewing Pale Ales with specifications on malts, hops, and total yeild to see who's version is better (and to end up with ten total gallons of great beer).
Also up soon: Belgian Dubbel
Primary: Grampa's Woodshed Apple Smoked Porter
Secondary: Zombiefoot California Common, Chocolate Strong Porter
Drinking: Seamus O'Drunkagan Irish Red, Humble Pie Imperial Stout, Capricorn IPA

Quick Reply