Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > water for full boils

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Evan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default water for full boils

just bought a house and once things settle a little i'll be getting back into brewing (been 2 months sice my last!!!) i'm still on extract until this fall probably, but the main question is....can you use a garden hose to fill up your water, considering you let it run a few seconds after just turning it on to run out what was left in there. or what does everyone do if thats bad?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Brakeman_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Thats what I do, I just let it run for a minute and its good. There have been a few threads debating whether this is safe or not. Its perfectly fine.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
illin8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In 99% of houses, the garden hose is connected to a water line inside the house, which also feeds the kitchen sink, bathrooms, etc...the only difference being inside the hose and the end of it...

Bottle Conditioning: AHS Oktoberfest, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde

On deck: Nothing (recently moved/working on the laundry list)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
Love is not a pink heart on a Hallmark card. It is a curse on mankind in which the male of the species must continually struggle to gain his own happiness by means of satiating the batcrap crazy stupid whims of the lady with the snaky hair.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Evan
Recipes 

sweet...yeah mine comes from inside the house, i was more worried about the rubber hose itself. have you ever drank from one that you haven't let the water run for a bit. cool, thanks everyone!

Old 05-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I would buy a RV hose . And use it only for that, garden hose's are in contact with lots of chemicals all the time in and around the yard Fido may have urinated on it or worse. They sit out in the sun with water inside them and can harbor a load of bacteria plus vinyl hose's are made with chemical substances in it to keep the hose flexible. I know its going to get boiled anyway but why would you want that stuff in there?

For what 10-15 bucks you can get a DWS hose. I have an RV and I go so far as to sterilze the hose everytime we go out. Just put it in a bucket of water with a few drops of clorine.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 05-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'd take it right out of the faucet on the outside of the house to avoid any hose issue. The thing to bear in mind about that water, though, is that typically it is city water that isn't routed thru the house's softener.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #7
mykayel
Recipes 

I always use use water out of the tap... mainly because I always use HOT water. Why not start your water temp at 110 instead of 60 degrees?

If you do use your hose, I'd definately run it a little bit to clear everything out of it... there was a recent study showing high levels of lead from a typical garden hose (most are made in China of course).

Old 05-02-2008, 01:29 AM   #8
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I only use in the house tap water. I agree with not wanting to use a hose that has been sitting in the sun and laying in the dirt for a week since the last time I used it. Nothing but the finest kitchen tap water for me and my beers!

Any advise offered after 10:00p.m. should be regarded as questionable
I can't brew until something is empty

Old 05-03-2008, 01:16 AM   #9
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
I would buy a RV hose . And use it only for that, garden hose's are in contact with lots of chemicals all the time in and around the yard Fido may have urinated on it or worse. They sit out in the sun with water inside them and can harbor a load of bacteria plus vinyl hose's are made with chemical substances in it to keep the hose flexible. I know its going to get boiled anyway but why would you want that stuff in there?

For what 10-15 bucks you can get a DWS hose. I have an RV and I go so far as to sterilze the hose everytime we go out. Just put it in a bucket of water with a few drops of clorine.
read springer, and then again.

Run your run of the mill garden hose for a bit. Collect what comes out of it and you will then see that springer gave you great advice.

Cheap N easy works for us. Cheap N Dumb does not.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 AM   #10
morrighu
Recipes 

We always start with cold water. Hot water can pick up even more minerals and stuff from the hot water tank, which basically acts as a dirt catcher and contaminant concentrator for all the ick in your local water supply.

Just my 2 cents,

M.

Quick Reply