Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Water Chemistry Question (sorry)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 02:38 AM   #11
curlyfat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 4,397
Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I get that, but I can never get all the numbers to line up for any water profile. Hasn't anyone figured out how much (in grams, teaspoons, whatever) of each salt to add to RO or distilled water for each style? Without having to play with these calculators adding this, adjusting that. What is a "standard" addition that anyone does? Just an actual measurement of salts in water that someone has found works for them? I have played with these calculators, but never get everything to line up. I don't know which things are ok to be over on, and which are ok to be under on. I just want a starting point knowing that someone else has and does use. Are the actual salt additions that people use considered proprietary, and must be kept as secret as their BBQ sauce recipe?



I apologize if I come across aggressive, I really am in the spirit of learning.

__________________
Broken Wind Brewing
On Tap:
1. Apfelwine
2. Hefeweizen
3. BYO 15th anniversary Ale
4. Utah Fresh Pressed cider
curlyfat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2010, 03:09 AM   #12
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 17,736
Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfat View Post
I get that, but I can never get all the numbers to line up for any water profile. Hasn't anyone figured out how much (in grams, teaspoons, whatever) of each salt to add to RO or distilled water for each style? Without having to play with these calculators adding this, adjusting that. What is a "standard" addition that anyone does? Just an actual measurement of salts in water that someone has found works for them? I have played with these calculators, but never get everything to line up. I don't know which things are ok to be over on, and which are ok to be under on. I just want a starting point knowing that someone else has and does use. Are the actual salt additions that people use considered proprietary, and must be kept as secret as their BBQ sauce recipe?



I apologize if I come across aggressive, I really am in the spirit of learning.
You're asking for the output that the calculator(s) give you. The EZ water calculator is based on RA and Cl:SO4 ratios. You have the option to set all your mineral parameters to "0" or your distilled water dilution to 100%. I don't think you're going to find any advice on "add 1/2 gram x and 3 grams y" to obtain a given water profile. It depends on the grain bill and mash water volume. You're adding the minerals to the mash. I always have to "plug and chug" the numbers on every style, not only to get into the preferred brewing range, but also to match the SRM (RA) and bitterness of the particular style I am brewing. Nobody is being secretive. This thread is a good read on the subject, and Bobby M has some great videos as well.
__________________
Reelale is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2010, 03:16 AM   #13
curlyfat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 4,397
Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
You're asking for the output that the calculator(s) give you. The EZ water calculator is based on RA and Cl:SO4 ratios. You have the option to set all your mineral parameters to "0" or your distilled water dilution to 100%. I don't think you're going to find any advice on "add 1/2 gram x and 3 grams y" to obtain a given water profile. It depends on the grain bill and mash water volume. You're adding the minerals to the mash. I always have to "plug and chug" the numbers on every style, not only to get into the preferred brewing range, but also to match the SRM (RA) and bitterness of the particular style I am brewing. Nobody is being secretive. This thread is a good read on the subject, and Bobby M has some great videos as well.
Fair enough, I guess I didn't think about how large of a difference malt bill makes. You say you only add to the mash? So does the sparge water not matter? Sorry I'm so dense on this, guys. For some reason this is the one area of brewing that seems to be beyond me. Even most microbiological subjects are easy for me.

Edit: I just looked at the link. This is the post that stood out:
Quote:
I use Brewater 3.0... it is fully automatic

It only asks for your starting water profile...

Then asks for your target water profile (it has a library of just about any profile you can imagine)

Once you select your target, you let it compute your salt additions itself. No trial and error... it will give you the salt amounts in grams or in tsp.

The only thing you have to do is tell it your starting water profile, then choose one of the many target water profiles... bam, it is done. I am personally not a big fan of slide rule type calculators.
I'm pursuing Brewater 3.0. That's exactly what I'm looking for! I do like the spreadsheet, though. All these will come in handy when I become more familiar with water adjustments.
__________________
Broken Wind Brewing
On Tap:
1. Apfelwine
2. Hefeweizen
3. BYO 15th anniversary Ale
4. Utah Fresh Pressed cider

Last edited by curlyfat; 07-17-2010 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Lack of rigor before posting.
curlyfat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2010, 03:29 AM   #14
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 17,736
Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfat View Post
Fair enough, I guess I didn't think about how large of a difference malt bill makes. You say you only add to the mash? So does the sparge water not matter? Sorry I'm so dense on this, guys. For some reason this is the one area of brewing that seems to be beyond me. Even most microbiological subjects are easy for me.
Actually it's the mash water volume, but that does correlate directly with the grain bill. I no-sparge, so I can't help you with the sparge additions. I'm sure someone else with more experience will chime in. IIRC, water additions are only for flavors (i.e. chlorides and sulfates) the mash additions are for both pH and flavor. Yeast love Mg, the lower the Na, the better, and sulphates enhance bitterness. Good tips I received from a professional brewer. Good luck.
__________________
Reelale is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adjusting Water Chemistry davebl General Techniques 1 12-22-2009 01:45 PM
Need help understanding my water chemistry! CharlosCarlies General Techniques 3 07-19-2009 05:41 PM
Iodophor Stains? Chemistry to the Rescue! jds General Techniques 4 05-26-2009 02:34 AM
Water Chemistry - Hardness, Alkalinity, and Additions thomcat333 General Techniques 9 10-28-2007 02:34 AM
Hot Break Temp? Chemistry? casebrew General Techniques 4 03-18-2007 06:26 PM