Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Wasting beer, but what can i do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czm View Post
Reviving an old thread. My setup is different and my valves are behind my keggles. I did my first all grain on my single tier (centennial blonde 5 gallon). I didn't have a measuring stick to calculate boil volume. I drained the mash tun to about when the pump wouldnt pump much out of it after my 60 min mash. What I did during sparging I made sure I had enough hot water in my hlt and used it to push what ever wort was in my lines into the bk. I did a double batch sparge but the grains swelled up so much I had to add more water to stir and do my run offs. I didn't let the hot and cold break settle much I instantly starting cooling through my cfc back into the kettle. Had some trub in the center. I have a 12" false bottom in the bk with a hole drilled off to the side of the center. It was a real PITA. I didn't make any logs of my first all grain brew. Should have but didn't. I went by what software said and ended up with 5 1/4g in fermenter instead of 5 1/2. I missed my og by 1 point. I need to change some things and if helps ill post some pictures of my setup. I have 2 more batches setup and don't want to screw them up to much. As this one it was frustrating.
As it was your first AG it sounds pretty good (1 point off and 1/4 gallon). Those first few times with new processes/equipment always seem clumsy. Sounds like you have very little to tweak though, just need to get use to the new flow.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
duckredbeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts

I boil a couple of gallons of water when I am close to cast. When I run out of wort, I switch the pump input to the hot water and chase out the wort. I turn off cooling when I do this. Gotta watch for when the wort turns to water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply