Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Washing yeast, starters, pre-made wort, all kinds of yeast Q's

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
98EXL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Default Washing yeast, starters, pre-made wort, all kinds of yeast Q's

I've got more questions that I've been trying to find here, but so far no good. I've been using my stir plate (which is beast, thanks for all of those endorsers of it) and I took some of my Wyeast 1332 that I have for a IPA I'm making any day now. Now I made some wort (pint of water, half cup of DME) and now have added 3 rounds of it, before the third I filled two 12 ounce bottles and stuck them in the fridge. By this point I am ecstatic! Not only did I make a starter, but I even have 2 extra bottles of yeast to make more IPA goodness later. So on to question number 1:

Why in my 1332 Wyeast, is there a sweet (and I mean sweet) layer of light colored (the usual) yeast in the bottom, with a smaller darker layer on top? Any ideas?

Next on my list is the topic of washing yeast. I washed my Hefe yeast, after a vigorous fermentation, and I got very little yeast. I expected so much, and I got so little. I was actually surprised but are there any tips to get more yeast out of a washing? I'll probably make more wort to propagate more of the Hefe yeast before I really store it...but I didn't get much

And for my last question, is there a easy way to make a huge batch of wort for starters up and freeze it or something? DME is so messy IMO, and I'd rather make a big batch, put them into freezer bags, and freeze.

I'm back!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98EXL
I've got more questions that I've been trying to find here, but so far no good. I've been using my stir plate (which is beast, thanks for all of those endorsers of it) and I took some of my Wyeast 1332 that I have for a IPA I'm making any day now. Now I made some wort (pint of water, half cup of DME) and now have added 3 rounds of it, before the third I filled two 12 ounce bottles and stuck them in the fridge. By this point I am ecstatic! Not only did I make a starter, but I even have 2 extra bottles of yeast to make more IPA goodness later. So on to question number 1:

Why in my 1332 Wyeast, is there a sweet (and I mean sweet) layer of light colored (the usual) yeast in the bottom, with a smaller darker layer on top? Any ideas?

Next on my list is the topic of washing yeast. I washed my Hefe yeast, after a vigorous fermentation, and I got very little yeast. I expected so much, and I got so little. I was actually surprised but are there any tips to get more yeast out of a washing? I'll probably make more wort to propagate more of the Hefe yeast before I really store it...but I didn't get much

And for my last question, is there a easy way to make a huge batch of wort for starters up and freeze it or something? DME is so messy IMO, and I'd rather make a big batch, put them into freezer bags, and freeze.
I'll speak to the last one. I think you could freeze the dme-wort for starters if you wanted to...but I wouldn't count on unabated sanitation. You'd still have to boil the wort again once it was thawed, just to make sure it was sanitized.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

I'm not sure why you did not get much yeast. Maybe you waited to long before transfering to the next jar?
I washed my Hefe yeast (WLP300) and have a little more then 2 cups of yeast out of it.
With a Small starter I can get maybe 10 more brews just from that. With a big starter, maybe more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 08-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts

About the HW yeast...you MAY have tossed out more of it than trub.

HW yeast is not creamy white ike with other yeasts. It is dark.

If the thin layer on top gets to looking like lake scum then you have an infection in there. Toss it.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
98EXL

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
About the HW yeast...you MAY have tossed out more of it than trub.

HW yeast is not creamy white ike with other yeasts. It is dark.

If the thin layer on top gets to looking like lake scum then you have an infection in there. Toss it.

wait, that is kinda a contradiction.....Hefe yeast is dark, but if it looks like lake scum it's infected? Now I'm confused

I'm back!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98EXL
wait, that is kinda a contradiction.....Hefe yeast is dark, but if it looks like lake scum it's infected? Now I'm confused
No, I'm talking about a layer on top of the yeast that, it's kind of difficult to explain..., there's ANOTHER loose darker layer on top of the yeast. It reminds me of plant-life coming off the bottom of a lake.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
98EXL

Recipes 

maybe I will take a nice macro shot of it later tonight for you

I'm back!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

I was thinking I wish I had taken pics of my samples for the same reason...

Old 08-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #9
98EXL

Recipes 

well, I will take some pics tonight....I'm worried about the sanitation now.....but I'm so good about that. The other thing that I forgot to ask is I had vodka suckback into my starter...is that bad?

I'm back!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Since when is vodka bad???

You're fine...

Quick Reply